Culture can be defined as the beliefs and customs of a society or group. It includes their arts, their lifestyles, the food they eat and any religious practices they perform. As the summer draws closer you may be looking for some ideas on how to spend your time and if you want to increase your cultural awareness at the same time, here's some ideas on what to do.
1. Visit an art exhibit or a museum dedicated to other cultures
2. Learn about another religion
3. Plan an international movie night
4. Listen to a music from a different culture
5. Play a sport related to a culture different from your own (Karate, Criquet, Pétanque…)
6. Invite a friend over and cook traditional food
7. Learn about traditional celebrations from other cultures
8. Volunteer with an organization working for diversity and inclusion
9. Learn another language 10. Study abroad
11. Learn the history of different forms of dance – and even how to perform them!
12. Take an anthropology class
13. Tutor minority kids
14. Host an abroad student
15. Take courses in Black History, Chicano/Chicana Studies, Women's Studies, Asian-American Studies, and Native American Studies.
16. Study the world’s religions
17. Attend events put on by cultural clubs – such as Chinese Culture Club or V.I.V.A.
18. Volunteer with Refugees
19. Become pen-pals with someone in another country
21. Learn about wedding customs around the world
22. Learn about other culture’s sporting events
23. Read alternative press sources.
24. Cook and try foods of another cultural group
25. Start a book club that reads books from around the world
26. Learn about racism, hate crimes, poverty
27. Celebrate World holidays
28. Read up on the traditions of another cultural group
29. Research your own cultural background
30. Learn to appreciate people’s differences
31. Make cross-cultural friendships
32. Make a playlist on spotify of other culture’s music
33. Study the meaning of white privilege
34. Listen before you judge
35. Discuss differences with people – do your best to listen
36. Have a cross-cultural movie night
37. Celebrate the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (March 21st) and other holidays that promote a better future
38. Challenge Stereotypes
39. Create a world map and pin everywhere you – or a group of friends – have been.
40. Learn other countries flags
41. Attend cultural panel discussions
42. Attend speeches by cultural speakers.
43. Expand your definition of diversity
44. Learn about education in other countries
45. Celebrate history and heritage months
46. Receive Safe Zone training
47. Learn ways to say hello in other languages; Hola [OH-La] (Spanish), Marhaba [MAR-hah-bah] (Arabic), Ni-hao [NEE-how] (Mandarin Chinese)
48. Have a global potluck
49. Visit ethnic restaurants
50. Read or listen to cultural stories
51. Read immigrants stories
52. Donate to those in need
53. Celebrate International Literacy Day (September 8th)
54. Promote Religious understanding
55. Research cultural dress from around the world