6 Ways to Wear Your Fandom

6 Ways to Wear Your Fandom

From subtle to blantant, there is no wrong way to share your fandom pride.

189
6 Ways to Wear Your Fandom
College Fashion

I'll be the first to admit that I am a HUGE nerd. I love everything from Marvel to Tolkien to random documentaries. I will also say that I am completely unashamed of this fact. One of the biggest pleasures in my life is listening and talking to others about our common nerd interests.

Now while I am unrepentant in this, I do understand that some places and jobs aren't the most "welcoming." Which is why I have created a small guide into being a ninja in wearing your fandom!

*This list is geared toward more "professional" avenues as a way to be sneaky because, unfortunately, not all of us can work at IGN.

1.) Fandom Jewelry

My personal favorite way to incorporate your fandom is through jewelry because of the versatility of it. You can go very inconspicuous with it, like this bracelet I have.

You couldn't even tell it was a fandom thing right? It's actually inspired by Hannibal. (please watch Hannibal btw it will rock your world)

Or you can go more directly inspired, like this necklace I have.

If you don't know, it is the door to Bag End from LotR and the Hobbit. I wear this all the time for several reasons: it gets a conversation starter, it's something I can wear to interviews, and it's just freaking adorable! I mean come on it's a locket! So.Cute.

Another awesome thing about jewelry? You can explore Etsy for all your geekery needs and the artist is paid in a relatively direct fashion.

2.) Scarves

Scarves are my not so secret weakness, can you tell?

I wear them with so many different things, in all different weather, and I love them. If scarves were a dude I would be all up on that. (creepy but true).

Fandom scarves are a wonderful thing. Everyone loves scarves- they are still a very "it" fashion staple right now. My favorite scarf I have is my Marvel scarf.

What I love best about it? It's so subtle. From far away it looks like an abstract print and with a closer view you can see all the awesome inside.

Kick.Ass.

3.) Nail polish

Have you ever explored the nail art tag on pinterest? It's amazing that there is so much talent in the world. I am not one of those people, and I weep everyday that I make pinterest fails not wins.

Now, if you can do nail art, fandom nail art is a great idea! You could boldly go where no man has gone before...

or go on an adventure!

If you are like me, and have no talent in this area, nail polish themes might be an option.

They are a super easy way to subtley show of your fandom. These "Hunger Games" themed ones are beautiful! I'm partial to the Primrose one myself. So pretty!! And the best part? When people ask where you got them you can unleash a flood of fandom knowledge on them! They did ask afterall.

4.) Make-up

Just like the wonders of nail polish, there are insanely fantastic humans who can use makeup like a spell from Harry Potter.

(That perfect line! IS WITCHCRAFT!)

Insane amounts of youtubers, instagramers, etc. have done tutorials inspired by their preferred fandom. You could give some of these a spin at your job (granted some are pretty showy, but if you like makeup and trying something new they could be right up your street.)

For instance, I couldn't exactly recommend a news anchor going into work with this look- though they would be FIERCE AS PHUCK- the colors and the idea are something one could adapt if they chose.

5.) Mugs, Water bottles, etc.

If you work somewhere where sitting at a desk is normal, you might think about having a stylized mug or water bottle in your office. I always take my favorite Captain America waterbottle with me wherever I go. I also have a map mug I keep in my car for when I need a strong cup of tea to keep me going.

A variety of places carry paraphernalia like this- ThinkGeek, the great and mighty Target- and there are also online sources as well. Go crazy!

Now, I say this list with the facts that A.) You have to be subtle about your interests, 2.) you prefer to be subtle about your interests, and 3.) you might not be allowed to wear certain things. However, if you are reading this list and thinking "The hell, I can wear whatever I want at work!" Then the next option is...

6.) Nerd out!

Pair your favorite nerd shirt with a cardigan of your choice, skinny jeans, and a pair of ballet flats or riding boots and you are good to go!

When the world is your oyster there are so many things you can do, but there is never a wrong way to wear your fandom.

Basically, if you feel confident in what you are wearing, and you feel comfortable: Go.For. It you majestic creature!

You look fine as hell.