6 Times People Found Happiness In Unexpected Places

Henry Ward Beecher once said, "The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things". Although we may be dependent on big things to make us happy like going on vacation, starting a new relationship, or getting a gift, it's important to look for happiness in common and unexpected places. Our daily lives can get so congested with work, school, relationships, and other commitments but we need to continue to search for these small parcels of happiness.

1. "Seeing old friends"

Helena Lopes

" I went to this craft show that I haven't been to since I was 10. I wasn't planning on going but my mom asked me to go with her and I thought, why not? When we got there we ran into friends that we haven't seen in over 10 years and I probably would have never seen them if I hadn't gone with my mom to the craft show. It really made my entire day seeing people who made my childhood so happy at an event that I never expected to see them at."

-Julianna

2. "Having a set schedule"

MaryKate McLaughlin

"Having a set schedule helps me find happiness in unexpected places! It keeps me from being stressed about the day, thus bringing me happiness!"

-Lily

3. "Seeing a rainbow"

MaryKate McLaughlin

"I was driving back to school one day and I was stressed out and super sad that I had to leave all of my friends from home. When I got close to school, I looked up at the sky really quickly and I saw a small rainbow in the clouds. At that very moment, I became calm and something was telling me that everything was going to work out and that I'd be ok"

- Kaylee

4. " Seeing a cute old man at work"

MaryKate McLaughlin

" I work at Olive Garden as a hostess, which is usually very crowded on the weekends. The other day at work we were on an hour wait and it was extremely packed. People were hungry and usually become more aggressive and rude at this time, which is normal. I was going to take this old man back to his table but he asked me to wait for his friend to walk in. When people ask to wait for someone I usually seat others in the meantime but this old man began to talk to me so I waited. He told me about his dog and his friend that he was waiting to meet. Then his friend came in and it actually turned out to be their first date. After I sat them at their table I couldn't help but smile at how nice he was and how cute it was for him to be on a first date, even at his age. It was one of my most stressful shifts at work but he somehow managed to make my day"

-Amy

5. "In a bookstore"

MaryKate McLaughlin

"I found happiness while aimlessly wandering through the aisles of a bookstore one time"

-Sara

6. "Seeing an England soccer jersey while at work"

MaryKate McLaughlin

"I work at a movie theatre during the summer while home from college during the summers and this past summer (Summer of 2018) was one of the busiest years in recent memory. During the course of this summer, I also happened to get really into soccer and the English National Team with the 2018 World Cup that was going on. England quickly became my favorite team and I began to fit my schedule around times that they would have games. England had advanced to the quarter-finals on a Saturday morning and that Saturday night I had to go into work. It was super busy and hectic with rude customers and lines taking forever but I saw a guy walk in with an England soccer jersey and it brightened my mood so much. It was the smallest of things but it helped get me through a painful shift"

-me (MaryKate)

Happiness comes in all shapes and sizes and it can be long lasting or last even a couple of seconds. We can go looking for it, or it can find us unexpectedly. Whenever we do find it, we must appreciate it for what it is and not take it for granted.