6 Tips For Incoming Freshman That I Wish I Was Told

Because college is way different from high school.

18

It is that time of year again! School is just around the corner for everyone and you're either the type of person who dreads going back or is over joyed to be starting a new chapter in your life. For college freshman, there is a lot of expectations that that you will have for the next four years before going in, like that you are going to have the best time and that it's the most memorable years of your life, and while it might be for some people there will be a lot of things you will learn just this year alone.

You Will Make New Friends

You tell all of your friends from high school that you will talk to each other every day and that when you are all home you' ll be with them for every second, but that is usually not the case; and it's OK. You will meet so many new people and so will they. A lot of people realize that once they aren't seeing each other on a daily basis and somewhat forced to be together every day, that you really don't have that much in common at all. Your true friends will stick with you and you will make even better ones.

Classes Are Hard

If you were the type of person who could coast by in high school without studying and get an A on every test, you are going to have to change your study habits. You have to read the textbook and every reading or homework that is ever assigned to you or I guarantee you will not be happy with your grades and neither will your parents. Your professors office hours will become your best friend.

The Freshman 15 is Very Real

Unless you are going to school and playing sports or are just a gym rat, sorry but you will be gaining at least 10-15 pounds in the next semester to year. The cafeteria food is your only option some of the time especially for those of you living on campus and without a functional kitchen. You will forget how nice it is to actually make good food for yourself that doesn't taste like it's been drenched in salt.

Put Yourself Out There

You aren't going to have a fun time if you sit around in your dorm room watching Netflix 24/7 and cut yourself off from the outside world. It's not like high school where teachers will put you in groups and force you to socialize, you actually have to try. There are so many clubs, teams, sororities,and fraternities that are there for you to meet new people and find your place! No matter how stupid you might feel going to the mixer that your dorm holds the first week of school, keep an open mind! You just might find your new group of friends.

Work Hard

Like I said before, this is a new experience and you only get as much of it as you put into it. Be goal oriented; this is the beginning of the rest of your life and every class, every test, and every grade does make a difference. One C or D won't ruin your life but aspire to do as well as you can and it can lead you to places you never thought that you would be before. Volunteer or work for something that you truly care about and put everything you got into it and I swear it will pay off.