6 Takeaways We Can All Take From 'The Greatest Showman'

I'm not scared to be seen. I make no apologies, this is ME

354
Vimeo

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've heard the rave about a circus movie that entered theaters several weeks ago

I saw some good reviews. I saw some bad reviews. I even saw some mixed reviews. Because let's face it, Hollywood can't make everyone happy no matter how much money they spend producing a movie or what gorgeous movie stars they bring in to act (Hello, Zac Efron).

What could possibly be so intriguing about a musical about a circus dude, after all, my college peers do a pretty fantastic job of showing me what a circus looks like, I mean Hollywood should have come to Western Carolina University to pick up their cast. They could have paid college kids in circus peanuts alone.

You see these were my thoughts. That is until I spent the weekend watching The Greatest Showman not once but TWICE because my friends, it is just that good.

The movie doesn't only do a wonderful job with the graphic designing and impeccable acting... But wow the music, so good. Yet, there's something more than the production of this movie that I fell in love with. And that is the storyline and absolutely beautiful, and oh so timely life lessons it held in nearly every scene. The beauty of watching a movie packed with morals our society is lacking in thrilled my heart and made me want to watch the movie a hundred and seventy-five times over.

Here are six life lessons I believe every single one of us can take away from this fantastic film, whether you have seen it or not!

1. Love > money

Two very different individuals fell in love as young teenagers and after a long period of separation, were finally able to be together. The girl's father rejected the boy because he was poor, but the girl didn't care about a rich and planned life. She only longed for a life filled with happiness and love. She risked it all for love. The poor boy who soon had all life could give, later found what his wife knew all along, that love is greater.

"Some people long for a life that is simple and planned, tied with a ribbon. Some people won't sail the sea cause they're safer on land. To follow what's written. But I'd follow you to the great unknown. Off to a world, we call our own."

2. Never apologize for being yourself

The members of the circus weren't "normal" to the world and everyone pushed them and their talents into the shadows. The bearded lad. The dwarf. The overweight man. Even P.T. Barnum himself in his poor class. And how beautiful it was to see so many individuals to come out of their hidden corners, to shine in the way they were meant to.

"I won't let them break me down to dust. I know that there's a place for us. For we are glorious "

3. You can have everything and it still will never be enough

P.T. Barnum gained everything. Fame. Popularity. Acceptance in a rich society. Everything. But he still found himself unhappy. And when he lost everything, including his family, he finally realized that this world and everything in it will truly never be enough. Happiness isn't found in money and fame, it's found with those we love and care for.

"All the shine of a thousand spotlights. All the stars we steal from the night sky. Will never be enough. Never be enough. Towers of gold are still too little. These hands could hold the world but it'll. Never be enough."

4. Stepping out of your comfort zone can be a beautiful thing

Zac Efron...You know I have to talk about my first love (sorry, boyfriend), Troy Bolton for life. Anyways, his role in this movie was perfection. A rich and talented man takes a chance and steps out of his comfort zone to join the circus. His family didn't condone it. But he took the chance. And he found happiness, he found a sense of belonging and best of all *spoiler alert* he found LOVE.

"So trade that typical for something colorful. And if it's crazy, live a little crazy. You can play it sensibly, a king of conventional or you can risk it all and see..."

5. Never forget the people who care about you most

P.T. Barnum was looking for status in the movie. He longed to be accepted. He spent his childhood being mistreated because he was poor. Then when he did start his show, which quickly became popular, he still wasn't happy. The people of status didn't accept his show. After finally achieving his goal of "reaching the top," he unconsciously neglected his family and the team who got him to the top. He finally realized how selfish he had been and came back to his family, the ones he cared most about and that's where he belonged. It's where we each belong.

"These eyes will not be blinded by the lights. From now on. What's waited till tomorrow starts tonight. Tonight. Let this promise in me start. Like an anthem in my heart. From now on."

6. You can never dream too big

The entire movie was based on dreams, a million dreams. P.T. Barnum had a dream. Charity had a dream. Their children had a dream. Each member of the circus had a dream. Dreams are where success begins. Sometimes they seem completely unreachable when really a little hard work and passion can get you anywhere. It never ever hurts to dream. And I believe we should reach for our dreams, just as P.T. Barnum did with his circus. People said he was crazy, but he dreamed on and even to this day I'm talking about the legend he left behind all because of a DREAM.

"They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy. They can say, they can say I've lost my mind. I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design. 'Cause every night I lie in bed. The brightest colors fill my head. A million dreams are keeping me awake. I think of what the world could be. A vision of the one I see. A million dreams is all it's gonna take. A million dreams for the world we're gonna make."

Thank you, P.T. Barnum, for having a dream.