6 Reasons Why People Wear Makeup

6 Reasons Why People Wear Makeup

And no, pleasing others isn't one of them.
3393

I am someone who wears makeup almost every day. In fact, I wear makeup so often that when I don't, people ask me if I'm sick or feeling okay. Many people wonder why I choose to wake up early to do it, or why I spend my money on it.

Makeup can be time-consuming and expensive if you want it to be, but I think it's worth it. It's my choice and mine alone to wear makeup every day, and here are some reasons why I (and countless others) do it.

1. Makeup is a form of artistic expression.

Putting on makeup is my daily chance to make a work of art. No matter how dramatic or simple a look is, creating it takes skill, precision, and imagination. There are so many colors, different types of products, and techniques that go into creating a look. Just like other forms of art, no piece is ever the same! Only this way, you get to wear the art yourself.

2. It's self-care.

I definitely consider myself a morning person, and doing my makeup has become part of my daily routine to prepare for what the day brings. When I don't put makeup on in the morning, my day feels a little different. Doing my makeup takes a lot of concentration, so it can take my mind off of some things I might be worrying about and reduce my anxiety. It helps me wake up and get ready to tackle the world with confidence.

At night, I always take off my makeup, apply moisturizers and other products to take care of my skin. It's important to me to do something every day to better myself, and spending time on my appearance is one of those things I do. Keeping my skin healthy is as important to me as keeping any other part of myself healthy. Spending this time on my skin doesn't just make me look good, but it makes me feel good.

3. It makes me feel more confident.

There are a lot of reasons that we may not feel 100% about ourselves all the time, even if those reasons are unfounded. Wearing makeup makes me feel a little less self-conscious about myself. Sometimes it's something small that only you notice, like that one pimple that you feel like everyone fixates on when they see you that you want to conceal.

For me, I never want to leave the house without filling in my eyebrows. There's no shame in wanting to change some things about your appearance. Just remember that its whats inside that truly matters, and your bare face is just as beautiful as your face when its all done up.

4. It makes me feel more powerful.

When my eyebrows look perfect, or I'm wearing my favorite shade of lipstick I feel a little more invincible. Knowing that I look good makes me feel good. Putting energy into something and having it come out great gives me a satisfaction that I carry with me the rest of the day.

Even if no one notices that my eyeliner is perfectly even and sharp, I know, and It's enough to give me a little boost in my step. Look out world! I know I look good today and nothing can stop me.

5. Makeup has a community built around it.

If you use any social media platform, you've probably seen content by a "beauty influencer." Beauty influencers get paid by companies to review and promote makeup products online to their followers. This notion has launched a giant community of both men and women who enjoy wearing and talking about makeup.

Beauty is just another means of finding new people online who have similar interests as you and friendships form easily. Plus, there's always plenty of drama when it comes to influencers and new product releases to talk about (I'm looking at you, Kylie Jenner). It's a great way to find people who are always there to appreciate your looks and support you, and share tips and tricks with.

6. Because it's fun.

At the very least, doing my makeup is fun. I don't do my makeup to impress anyone but myself. I only do it because it is something I like to do, not because I think I have to. I take pride in my appearance, but I know it is not what makes me who I am, or why people like me. Sometimes I'm the only one who sees a look that I've done, but that doesn't mean it was a waste of time or energy.

We need to stop shaming women from wearing makeup, or not wearing it! I do my makeup for myself, and myself only.