6 Reasons Why Everyone Should Read More

6 Reasons Why Everyone Should Read More

6 simple reasons why you should turn off Netflix and open a book

276
6 Reasons Why Everyone Should Read More
uglydogbooks.com

When was the last time you tried to remember a page from the last book you read, rather than what happened on the last episode of "Grey's Anatomy" you were binge-watching on Netflix? Today, a majority of people can't remember the last book they picked up recreationally, but they could tell you how many grams of atropine to give a patient that's in v-fib. While I do love McDreamy, I would choose picking up a book over binge-watching a show on Netflix any day. Just in case you need a little bit of convincing, here are some reasons why you should start reading more!

1. Improves Verbal Abilities

You could be reading William Shakespeare or Dr.Seuss, but you are bound to pick up different styles of writing and a few new words here or there, regardless. Those who read tend to have a more varied range of vocabulary words. While reading "the classics," words that are not normally used anymore can be rediscovered, opposed to reading more modern day works of literature, where we may be more familiar with the language used. Either way, each and every book is filled with a countless number of words that can expand your choice of diction.

2. Improves Writing Abilities

As previously stated, reading improves vocabulary. With this newly found vocabulary, not only can your verbal abilities increase, but your writing ability can too. Any author will proudly admit that they have succeeded as a writer because they chose to read every day. While reading, you can often find yourself learning the author's writing habits and even memorizing them. These small strategies can reflect into your own writing, and can hopefully even help you in discovering your own habits.

3. It Makes You Interesting

Sure, being able to know Christina Yang's next move while watching her perform surgery makes you cool, but honestly, how many people do you think know her next move just as well as you do? Probably a lot. I know I do. But how long do you think your girlfriends are going to want to have a conversation with you about Grey's Anatomy, or some corny show that is painfully similar? I mean, c'mon, there are only so many dramatic scenarios that can happen after awhile with different outcomes each time. But books and reading? There will always be someone that asks if you read, what you like to read, and what you're currently reading. There are millions of different books out there in the world, and believe it or not, each one is so different in hundreds different ways (they even have some crazy plot twists, too).

4. It's Good For You

There is something about getting lost in a good book that makes everything better. It's a great way to relax and let your mind take a vacation while living someone else's life. It can relieve stress and tension in your muscles and heart while calming your nerves! Even six short minutes spent reading has been proven to slow the heart rate and ease tension in the muscles.

5. It's Cheap

BOOKS ARE CHEAP. You are not restricted to Barnes and Noble to buy a book. There are book stores that sell books for a penny, there are thrift stores that leave racks of books outside, for the love of God, there are public libraries that let you borrow books FOR FREE AND FOR AS LONG AS YOU WANT. Instead of buying a movie ticket or a new video game, buy a book. Just try it.

6. It's Fun

The reasons above are just bonuses compared to the real reason more people should read: it's fun. A book is a true source of entertainment that I sincerely hope everybody gets the privilege of realizing, sooner rather than later. It's a jump into your favorite story leaving you in control of imagining the characters and setting. In some ways, you're just as much the author as the actual writer of the book. It's the perfect escape from reality.