6 Reasons Why Binge-Watching TV Shows Is Just Like Dating

Substitute Tinder for Netflix and your significant other for a show

14

We’ve all had those moments where you finish binging a show and are on a high. You’re positive about the future of television and that good quality content is still out there. So you decide to jump onto Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon Instant Video, whatever (pick your poison- there are so many options) and start scrolling through, looking at only the pictures and descriptions of the show. You swipe past some without giving it a thought, and maybe on some shows decide to start watching the first episode. It’s pretty good so you give it a chance. You keep watching for a while until you really this show isn’t quite good enough to take up all the time you’ve been giving it, so you stop watching and start scrolling again through the lists of shows, hoping to find the right one you can settle down with on a cold winter night. Sound familiar? Just like dating, which for many young people is done through the popular social media app Tinder (or JSwipe, OkCupid, Bumble, pick your poison- there are so many options out there), it can be hard to find the right show to binge watch on Netflix. Here are some more reasons why the two experiences are one and the same.

1. Some shows start out great but then deteriorate in quality over time.

Sometimes you’ll find a show that just seems so perfect: it’s funny but is serious and emotional when it needs to be, it doesn’t spend an unnecessarily long amount of time telling pointless stories and it’s not too racy to feel uncomfortable watching with your mom. But while one day it’s great, suddenly you move onto the next season and Scrubs is about a medical school or Bart comes back to life in Gossip Girl and you realize that although it was great at first, your feelings for it just aren’t the same anymore. Or maybe this change in quality shows you that it was never really that great to begin with- you just liked it because you needed something to take up all the free time you had.

1. Or just the opposite: sometimes it takes a show a season or two for you to understand just how great it really is.

Who talks about the first six episodes of The Office? No one. But just because it started off fairly rocky- funny but not really in its niche, doesn’t mean it isn’t a great show. Those first six episodes might make you question if you want to keep watching the show, but then the second season starts and you understand why you stuck it out: this show has qualities that you really enjoy and you’re really starting to understand it better.

1. Some shows end before you want them to end.

We all have this show: Freaks and Geeks, Pushing Daisies, etc. Some shows are so good and you just want to keep watching it forever, but for some reason when you click “next episode” it isn’t there. You’ll never understand it, but there’s nothing you can do. This show could have been perfect for you, but for reasons you can’t control it is over for good. (Unless you can somehow get it to have some kind of revival or movie, which may or may not be as good as the original).

1. There are some shows that you stop watching before they are over even though they just want you to keep watching.

We get it New Girl, you added the newest season to Netflix. We’re just not interested anymore. We had some good times; you were pretty good in the first few seasons. But now we’ve moved on and are very happy with your Fox Tuesday counterpart: Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which is honestly much better but very under appreciated.

1. Some shows are so good that you keep re-watching them over and over again and never get sick of them even when they get old, but you realize eventually that while they are great it is time to move on and first a newer, hopefully better show.

Even though it’s been over 10 years since it ended, no one ever seems to stop talking about Friends. This makes sense because it’s a classic. You could watch every episode ten times and it will still be funny. The characters are relatable, the plots are original (sometimes) and it’s just a very light and fun show to watch on a lazy day. But while Friends is great, you can’t just watch it forever. Let’s face it: it’s a little dated and the laugh track can get old fast. It’s still a go-to when there’s nothing to watch, but there are plenty of other new, great shows out there. It may be scary to look for them when you have something so easy to fall back on, but you know that if you can find that new show, you’ll be very happy.

1. But then eventually you do find that show, and then you don’t need the old one anymore and everything in your life makes sense.

Sometimes this process of looking for the next great show can be agonizing. It’s been weeks of looking for a new show and you worry that maybe there’s nothing out there that will be better than Friends, which you really just want to go home to and watch a few episodes of. But then one day when you’re not looking for it, you stumble across a new show. One episode in and you’re hooked. You watch and watch until Friends is just a thing of the past. It will always hold a fond place in your heart, but you know that this new show is the one for you. And if you’re lucky, it will be your Simpsons or Jeopardy and never end.