7 Pros And Cons Of Being An Absolute Workaholic

There are some perks to being addicted to work. Just look at my W-2 form. But it also drives you insane. Just ask my therapist.

2150
Alex Kotliarskyi

If there was one single word to describe me, it would be 'workaholic'. I am not only a full-time student, but I also have a job, and internship and I also write for a fun, little website called Odyssey. My life is a series of nonstop business. When your days consist of running from one end of town to the other, you start to realize certain things in your life.

There are some perks to being addicted to work. Just look at my W-2 form. But it also drives you insane. Just ask my therapist. Here are some of the pros and cons of being a workaholic.

Pro: You are the KING of multitasking.

You can write a paper for a class, watch an online lecture for another class and answer emails in between paragraphs. Is this efficient? Probably not. But it gets the work done.

Con: Days off? What are Those?

If you're not working one job, your working another. Sometimes you work them both the same day. You become so mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted that trying to get out of bed the next morning nearly close to impossible. The worst is when it's finals week, but you also have to work both jobs! Yeah, I could just die now.

Pro/Con: Relationships? Dating? Boy BYE!

There are not enough hours in the day to get all of the crap done that you need to for the day and still be in a relationship. Besides, having a glass of wine before bed seems a whole lot better than having to listen to another person and their problems for the entire day when all you want to do is sleep. I am still not sure if this is a pro or a con at this moment. We'll find out soon enough.

Pro: You are financially independent.

Calling your parents every week and asking for money is a foreign concept for you. You buy your own drinks, you fill up your own gas tank, and you don't owe any money to your friends. But your friends are always trying to get you to cover the bar tab.

Con: I'll sleep when I am dead.

There is really not enough downtime to get a full-night sleep, let alone a small nap. There is not enough time in the day to try to study for classes, make some money and try to be well-rested for the next day. I'm running on fumes by Tuesday!

Pro: Going on vacations are more appreciated.

Since you work 24/7 and never have any time for yourself, a much-needed vacation is like a gift from the heavens. Having one, not two, but multiple days without any obligations or responsibilities is something that is both appreciated and accepted.

Con: Watching your friends have fun without you.

The FOMO is real when you're trying to hustle. You can't just go out for Wine-down Wednesday because you're either at work/studying, have work/class in the morning or both.

And finally: Finding out you have something due, but you're working a double so you literally have no time to do it.