6 Pros And Cons Of The Dining Hall

6 Pros And Cons Of The Dining Hall

Everything you need to know about your college dining hall.

1453
6 Pros And Cons Of The Dining Hall

Transitioning to college life can be tough. Classes get harder, tests get longer, and maybe most importantly, no one really thinks about what they will eat on a daily basis. I didn’t realize that in college I would be saying goodbye to refreshing Acai bowls, elaborate sushi rolls, and my favorite deli from my hometown.

It didn’t sink in until I got to college - home to Chinese takeout, heated up Ramen, and yes, the dining hall. Home to food of pretty much every variety, college dining halls are a primary option for hungry college students from all walks of life, but the question is... is the food good?

Some students eat in the dining hall every day, for every meal. Others cannot stand the sight of the dining hall and avoid it at all costs. Would you pull up a chair and dig in? Here are 6 pros and the cons of college dining halls.

1. Come one, come all of you crazy kids. The dining hall is a social scene - sometimes strutting in your pajamas is not enough.

When we first get to college, we sometimes feel alone and scared if we haven’t formed our friend groups yet. The dining hall is an easy way to see familiar faces and make small talk as you wait for your food to be prepared.

Two students who just emerged from the same excruciating calculus exam swap horror stories by the ice cream machine. Members of the same fraternity spot each other across the room and fist bump by the bolognese.

The swim team gears up for its next big meet with heaping quantities of steak and eggs. Most people find their people, and you won’t find anybody eating alone. This is definitely one of the benefits of the dining hall -- the central gathering place that helps people get to know one another. If there was no dining hall, there would not be a mutual spot to meet up in the dorms. PRO!

2. Come hungry, leave happy.

One of the benefits that g alongside with the dining hall is the beautiful, paid-for meal plans that let students access it. Once you swipe in, you’re in baby! Your food is already paid for and you can have as much as you want!

Sometimes I'll fill up a plate and not like anything on it, so I pass it along to one of my ~hungrier~ friends, go back to the food stations, and fill a new plate with completely different things. This is actually extremely beneficial for those who are indecisive and can never figure out what they want. It is also beneficial for those who need bigger meals and extra plates of food!

Either way, you will leave happy, not hungry. PRO!

3. The big takeaway.

This benefit may not apply to every college dining hall, but many dining halls let you fill up a plastic, reusable box (environment first!) with the food you want and then bring with you anywhere you want to eat it.

Usually, students will use these boxes if they wish to eat in their room or on the way to the library. But why stop there? Eat on the quad, in the student center, or in class (actually maybe not in class). This is beneficial in many ways because it gives students flexibility in case their schedules do not permit a sit-down meal. PRO!

4. A picky eater's worst nightmare.

If you are someone who constantly has trouble finding food you like, the dining hall might not help. Although the dining hall offers a variety of choices, they are all pretty basic and maybe not the best quality.

My best advice would be to focus on the tried and true classics: check out the sandwich station, attempt the pasta dishes, or try the fruit you like. Go in with a plan. I often see people struggling to find something to eat and pacing around the dining hall. Yikes! And, after all of that, they end up ordering Chinese take-out. CON!

5. No entry zone for germaphobes.

Although the staff works around the clock, and we are appreciative for that, there is still a sense of fear that the dining hall is not necessarily clean. We load our dishes and silverware onto a conveyor belt to get cleaned but we don't know for sure how clean they get.

For the germaphobes, the uncertainty over the cleanliness of the dining hall can be frightening. The point is not to put the hardworking staff down, but it is extremely difficult to run and maintain a dining hall packed with overworked, not-so-clean college students.

And don’t get me started on flu season when it is probably best to steer clear of the dining hall and apply all the Purell your heart desires. In short, if you are someone who is super concerned with your health, perhaps you should stick to ordering in. CON!

6. The intimidation game.

Even though I already stated that the dining hall can be a social scene and a gathering place to meet friends, it can also be the exact opposite. If you are between classes and have no one to sit with to eat a fast lunch or dinner, the dining hall can be a lonely place. You may look around and see friend groups laughing and talking while they eat together. It's happened to everybody, and if you say it hasn't, you're lying. CON!

It is no secret that I am personally not a fan of the dining hall. I am a freshman who is used to all of my favorite restaurants at home and had to make a huge adjustment to the basic foods at the dining hall. I like that I can save money by eating there and hang out with my friends, but I can be disappointed by the quality of the food and, frankly, the lack of acai bowls. The dining hall has its flaws, but it will just have to do.