6 Popular Songs That Don't Mean What You Think

Warning, this may make or break your favorite songs.

32
Whizzpast

As a community, we all tend to love the same things. We all tend to overdose on the same art, films, and music. After all, we are the ones that make them popular. As ironic as it may sound, as much as we replay the same song over and over again until we know every word, beat, and note, we sometimes still don't comprehend the true meaning of the song. Sometimes, we just don't think about it to much because were to busy acting like Mick Jagger in our car on the way to work, but sometimes it's because only the writer knew what he meant when he wrote the song. Each song may not be what you think it is, so next time your jamming out in your car, think about what your singing.

1. Imagine - John Lennon (The Beatles)

Well "imagine" this, John Lennon openly stated that this song might as well have been the communist manifesto. No argument there, I mean seriously think about it. After the song was released and it became ridiculously popular, he then stated that he knows now just to sugarcoat the message in order to get it across.

2. Black Bird - The Beatles

McCartney stated in later years that this song was about the segregation in Little Rock during the civil rights movement. The "black bird" was purely symbolic.

3. Iron Man - Black Sabbath

This song actually isn't about Marvel's Iron Man but instead the story of a man that got sucked into space and traveled through time to see the future and got shot back to Earth. However on his way back he got turned into Iron. Being full of metal, he was unable to speak and warn the people of the future that is going to come down on them. The people ignore him, disregarding anything he has to offer. In the end the Iron Man ignores them and "gets his revenge".

4. Wake Me Up When September Ends - Green Day

Anti-war message, easy one. Think again, this song is actually about Billie Joe's father that passed away 20 years before he wrote the song. He never got over the passing of his father and this is essentially a memorial song.

5. Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams

So this is either gonna ruin this song or make it exponentially better. So rather about a time frame, this song is about a sexual encounter he had during the summer. Not in 1969. Get it. Yeah.

6. Poker Face _ Lady Gaga

So I never really understood the song Poker Face in the first place, but I'm guessing a lot of you all have a clue as to what it may be about. Well, the answer is her bisexuality when she was dating a man but had feelings for a woman.

I guess in the end it isn't about what the writer intended but how the audience perceives and interprets it. To each, a song might have another meaning, but at least we now know not every song is as obvious as we thought.