6 Essential Style Tips for Every Man

6 Essential Style Tips for Every Man

194
6 Essential Style Tips for Every Man
Style Dispatches

When I became interested in men's fashion, I wanted a good core set of rules to follow to help me along my way. With that in mind, here are some general style tips to keep in mind in all things men's fashion. If you stick by these, you really can't go wrong.

Wear Comfortable Clothes

At the beginning of my style journey, I didn't really pay any attention to how comfortable my clothes were. If it looked good, I'd wear it. Before long, I became uncomfortable doing everyday tasks and felt more self-conscious. Moral of the story: being comfortable in your own clothes can help with more than just feeling cozy. Here's an example: switch out regular jeans with stretch jeans (found at most stores, American Eagle's are my favorite).

Wear Clothes That Fit

I already went over this in a previous article, but it's just so important that I feel compelled to note it all over the place. If I could choose the single most important thing in men's fashion, it would be fit. If you wear clothes that fit your body shape, you'll up your style by miles.

Focus on Details

If you asked me what distinguishes men's style from women's style, I'd say the added detail in men's fashion. Men's fashion is more restricted, so the details matter even more in men's style. Use this to your advantage! Get those killer shades, wear that stylish bracelet, rock that classy watch! Details are what make men's fashion men's fashion.

Tailor (Some of) Your Clothes

This is something where more is better. The more of your favorite wardrobe pieces you can afford to tailor, the better you'll look and the better off you'll be. However, I know a lot of people can't easily afford tailoring, so here is my suggestion: tailor your favorite (or only) suit. Even if you don't wear one all that often, a tailored suit is the best bang for your tailoring buck. Trust me, you'll thank me later.

Keep It Simple To Start

Putting together outfits doesn't have to come with crazy layers and pattern matching. No matter what you're into, from classic men's style to modern street wear, start small. In this case, small means simple. Get a good grasp on the basics of style and then you can get all crazy with making ballin' outfits.

Make The Best of What You Have

Whether you grew up with a lot of green (nice things 'round me) or have nearly no income, there's a place for you in men's fashion. Have a lot of cash? You'll find yourself at home with places like J. Crew and Brooks Brothers. Have almost nothing to your name? Visit the thrift store! You can make some amazing outfits from what you can find there -- arguably better looking than if you tried to make an outfit from a clothing store's seasonal clothing line. No matter what or where you come from, there's a place in the men's fashion community for you!