Cape Cod's 6 Most Charming Towns
popular

Cape Cod's 6 Most Charming Towns

If you are heading here this summer, visit as many of these as possible. They will not disappoint.

64145
Cape Cod's 6 Most Charming Towns
Inn At Cape Cod

Cape Cod, MA is a quintessential New England summer dream. The gorgeous beaches, charming Main Streets, adorable boutiques, and outstanding restaurants make the Cape an ideal vacation destination. New Englanders and people from all around the world flock to the Cape every summer when the temperatures rise to get a taste of Cape Cod living.

Every town on the Cape is great and each one has its own individual, unique quirks. As someone who has been vacationing on Cape Cod since I was a baby, I have my personal favorites. So, if you are heading to the Cape this Summer, try to visit as many of these towns as possible because they will not disappoint.

6. Mashpee

Mashpee is the town in between Falmouth and Hyannis. The highlight of this town is the "Mashpee Commons" shopping center (pictured above). Filled with restaurants and shops, this outdoor shopping center is a mix of stores you already know and ones that are native to Cape Cod. One of the best restaurants in "Mashpee Commons" is Bobby Byrne's. They have outstanding chowder at a price that is less than a lot of other restaurants on the Cape. Overall, Mashpee is a cute, small town. It may not have a ton of stuff to do, but it still has a lot to offer.

5. Chatham

Chatham is located on the "elbow of Cape Cod." Chatham has absolutely stunning beaches and a lovely main street. However, whenever there are shark sightings on the Cape, they are usually in Chatham so beware! To get the one of the best views on the Cape, you have to visit the "Chatham Lighthouse" (pictured above). It is my favorite lighthouse on all of Cape Cod. On certain days, you can actually go inside of the lighthouse and climb all the way to the top to see the stunning views of Chatham Lighthouse Beach (pictured below). Making the climb is worth it because the ocean views are something you have to experience for yourself. Of course, the lovely main street in Chatham is full of charming restaurants and boutiques as well. Chatham is is a great, picturesque little town that you have to experience at least once.

4. Provincetown

Provincetown is electric, artsy, accepting, and beyond unique. Just the geographic shape and location of the town is amazing in itself. Provincetown is located at the very tip of Cape Cod and is the last town on the Cape. It is quite a drive to get there but the long drive is definitely worth it. The hub of Provincetown is on "Commercial Street" (pictured above). The street is full of great shops and restaurants. Provincetown is also extremely lively and offers the best nightlife on sleepy Cape Cod. Known for being a place where the LGBTQ community is not only accepted but celebrated, Provincetown has always been ahead of its time when it comes to pride. Provincetown also has a lot of coastline and they have exceptional beaches, including the gorgeous "Race Point Beach" (pictured below). Overall, Provincetown is unlike any other on the Cape. Do not let the drive intimidate you, the trip is worth it.

3. Yarmouth (Including Yarmouth Port, South Yarmouth, and West Yarmouth)

Yarmouth is very close to my heart. Placing it at number three was difficult because it easily could have been at number two or one. I stayed in Yarmouth for many years at "The Cove At Yarmouth" which is an extraordinary resort (highly recommend). Yarmouth is in a great location in the mid area of Cape Cod so it is easy to get to other towns. Yarmouth also has a lot of great restaurants and beaches. In fact, the best chowder on Cape Cod (pictured below) can be found at one of my favorite restaurants: Captain Parker's Pub. They have an excellent menu with exceptional seafood and I have to stop there every time I go to the Cape.

The Skipper restaurant also has excellent chowder (it is really thick) and is almost a tie for my favorite chowder on the Cape Cod. Both restaurants represent Cape Cod at its finest and are well worth the wait times. Yarmouth does not have its own main street but it is so close to Hyannis that everyone visits Hyannis' main street during their stay. Yarmouth also has several adorable mini golf courses and stores. Every year, local business in Yarmouth compete in a sand sculpture contest where each business has an intricate sand sculpture outside of their location for the public to view as they go around town. This is always a fun event and it encourages you to visit many local spots. Overall, Yarmouth is a great seaside town that has restaurants that you cannot miss and a location that is convenient to all of Cape Cod. Be sure to visit Yarmouth and experience all that is has to offer!

2. Falmouth

Falmouth is quintessential Cape Cod. The classic main street, spectacular beaches, great restaurants, amazing ice cream shops, historic lighthouse, and proximity to Martha's Vineyard make it a pretty perfect beach town on the Cape. Located at the very beginning of Cape Cod, Falmouth is accessible and does not require a long drive in the car. It has one of my absolute favorite main streets that is full of New England charm. The cute stores and restaurants on the street are amazing. Walking down the street on a warm Cape Cod evening is so relaxing and beautiful. Falmouth also has a lot of great places for lunch, not just dinner. My favorite restaurants in Falmouth are Liam Maguire's Irish Pub and The British Beer Company. Liam's is located on the main street and the place has so much character and a great atmosphere. They have live music most nights and the food is delicious. They have an outstanding lobster roll which is probably the best on Cape Cod (pictured below). Their chowder is also great and they have superior, traditional Irish dishes. If you are in Falmouth, stop at Liam's because you will not be disappointed.

The British Beer Company in Falmouth has gorgeous ocean views and is right across the street from the beach. The food and atmosphere is excellent and worth the wait! Falmouth (and nearby Wood's Hole) is also the closest town on Cape Cod to the island of Martha's Vineyard which is a very popular destination. The ferry ride to the Vineyard is short and sweet and makes Falmouth even more desirable. Personally, I have been staying in Falmouth since I was a baby and I adore it. It is such a beautiful place that is so relaxing. Going to the beach, laying by the pool, shopping, dining out, and going to Martha's Vineyard make for the ideal Cape Cod getaway that never gets old.

1. Hyannis

Hyannis is a spectacular place that everyone should get to experience in their lifetime. It is truly the perfect Cape Cod town. It has a rich history, legacy, beauty, charm, shopping, dining, boating, and beach access. Hyannis is like a seaside, dreamy paradise. President John F. Kennedy and his family vacationed here a lot and their compound still stands here. A fascinating museum in the president's honor is located on the picturesque main street. You can also go on ferry tours around Hyannis to see the Kennedy Compound from the water. Learning about the Kennedys and being surrounded by history is an amazing part of Hyannis.

Main Street in Hyannis (pictured below) is the ideal Cape Cod shopping and dining center of town. The shops, especially Mrs. Mitchell's Gifts--my personal favorite store on the Cape-- are so unique and fun. Art galleries, clothing stores, and adorable gift shops line the street along with great local restaurants. You can get excellent fudge at Kandy Corner and browse gorgeous, local artwork at the Kennedy Gallery & Studios. The best pizza can be found on Main Street as well at Palio Pizzeria (it is outstanding). Some of my other favorite stores on Main Street include Red Fish Blue Fish Studio, Islands, Bella, Allium, Mrs. M's Summer House, and many others. Off of Main Street, The Black Cat Tavern and Pain D'Avignon are great restaurants that are full of charm and excellent food. When it comes to breakfast, my absolute favorite breakfast place is The Daily Paper. This place is the best. I have never been to a better restaurant for breakfast. Their coffee is second-to-none and everything from their pancakes (pictured below) to their eggs are outstanding. You have to stop here for breakfast! The staff is so nice and the restaurant is so cute!

Overall, I am so in love with Hyannis (so much so that I have a painting of Main Street framed in my bedroom). I recommend it to everyone. It is everything you could ever want from a Cape Cod town. It is one of the places where I feel happiest and most content. I urge you to go experience the outstanding charm, history, shopping, beaches, and beauty of Hyannis for yourself because you will fall in love with it just like I did.