Want to be like Leslie Knope? 6 Careers From Parks and Recreation That Actually Exist

Parks and Recreation seems like it's all goofiness and fun. But those folk work at real local government jobs. Read on to find out how you too can be a dedicated civil servant.

962

If you've ever watched Parks and Recreation, you most likely enjoyed quite a few good laughs. More importantly, however, you probably also witnessed a few heartfelt moments when Leslie's passion for looking out for the interests of the citizens of Pawnee, Indiana pays off.

As a result, you may now wonder about public service jobs in the real world. Well, you've come to the right place.

Parks and Recreation employees make sure that citizens have safe and satisfying public spaces to exercise, play and live. Many people who have a strong desire to ensure the quality of life for others seek careers in public service.

There are several ways that you can serve the public as a government employee. The following are six careers from Parks and Recreation that actually exist.

Leslie Knope - Deputy Director of Parks and Recreation

Former Saturday Night Live cast member Amy Poehler plays Leslie Knope – the star of the show and the Deputy Director of Parks and Recreation for Pawnee, Indiana. In her role as director, the city of Pawnee hired her to oversee the operations and finances of public parks and recreational spaces.

In the real world, a deputy director may also prepare an annual budget to solicit the city council for funding. Parks and Recreation's directors may work under the supervision of the city manager.

Chris Trager - State Auditor

Virginia native Rob Lowe, known for his role in St. Elmo's Fire, found a role in Parks and Recreation as Chris Trager – a state auditor who eventually lands a temp job as Pawnee's Acting City Manager. In every state, an auditor oversees the finances of the local government.

For example, an auditor might review a city's financial documents to make sure that city representatives have spent allocated funds properly. Typically, a state auditor serves a four-year term.

Ann Perkins - Registered Nurse

Surprised? Yes, nurses can work in public service too! In her role as Ann Perkins, Rashida Jones plays a nurse for the Pawnee Health Department and is also Leslie Knope's best friend.

A registered nurse who works in public service may find themselves working in a clinic to help combat threats that may affect community wellness, such as childhood obesity. Nurses are compassionate and dedicated to helping children and adults achieve wellness. They help community members with a wide range of issues and serve as a source of information for individuals who want to improve their health.

Leslie Knope - City Councilperson

Knope also claimed a role as a city councilor during the show. A city councilmember is an elected official of the local government. They are responsible for representing the needs of the community on a local level, similar to the way that a Congressman serves the needs of citizens on the federal level.

City councilmembers enact laws and promote community safety. They also work to make sure that new laws represent the best interests of residents.

Mark Brendanawicz - City Planner

Former Parks and Recreations star Paul Schneider did a two-season stint as Mark Brendanawicz – City Planner of Pawnee. The city planner meets with stakeholders such as other municipal officials, developers and community members to discuss plans for city land and other public assets. A city planner may also administer federal legislation that affects local land-use.

They regularly analyze data from a variety of sources to aid in decision-making. A city planner may also conduct field investigations to evaluate current and future initiatives.

Jerry Gergich - Mayor

Jim O'Heir is a comedian who's appeared on popular shows such as Ally McBeal and Boston Legal. He finally found his place in Hollywood as Jerry Gergich – the mayor of Pawnee. A city mayor is also an elected official.

In some municipalities, the mayor is the chief executive officer of the city. In others, the mayor leads the city council but is considered an equal to other councilmembers. In either case, mayors serve as the official representative of their respective cities.

If you have a sincere passion for serving the public's interests, you can start on the path of service by seeking out a mentor who can help you to develop your professional skills to prepare for public service. It's also helpful to participate in career development leadership programs at your current job. You should also solicit the feedback of your current supervisors to help you build your leadership skills.

A career in public service is an opportunity to advocate for the safety and interests of the community. By earning a four-year degree in public administration, you can fulfill a lifelong passion for helping others.