5 Ways To Have Self Love

5 Ways To Have Self Love

Loving Others Is Easy, Loving Ourselves Is The Hard Part

317
5 Ways To Have Self Love
Madison Vanhorenbeck

I have had quite a rocky road in this department but it all boils down to the fact that in order to love others, you must first love yourself. While that sounds easy, it is sometimes the hardest thing to do. Self love means you have respect for yourself, having a positive attitude toward you and your image, and just loving yourself in the simplest ways possible. This isn't selfish or conceited, it's necessary. There is and only ever will be one YOU. If you ask me that's already pretty amazing!!

1. Stop with the comparisons

It is so easy now a days to scroll through Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and be like, "I want her body" ,"I want her hair", or "I want her smile". Those comparisons need to stop, right NOW. I know it's a difficult thing to stop because I am guilty of doing it myself but in order to love yourself, you need to be happy with you and everything unique you have to offer. Nobody is perfect and I guarantee that those people that we're comparing ourselves to don't like something about themselves, something that you might have.

Comparing ourselves blinds us from our true beauty and the things that a camera can't see. Personalities are such an underrated aspect about people now a days and sometimes it's what makes a person amazing. So just stop comparing yourself to those "perfect people" because you're perfect in your own way.

2. Stop finding your self-worth in other people

This is so. very. important. In order to be in healthy relationships with others and yourself you have to be ok and comfortable with being on your own and in your own skin. I used to be that girl that didn't feel confident or worth much without a boyfriend but now that I am working on my self love and confidence having a boyfriend isn't necessary. When you find your self-worth in others that gives others the power to pull you down and allows them to control you and your emotions.

When you love yourself and you know that others should only ever add to those feelings of self appreciation it's amazing how rejuvenated you'll feel. So much weight will be taken off your shoulders and you'll feel like a new person. You're amazing and you shouldn't feel that the only way that is true is if a boy tells you

3. Forgive yourself

Beating yourself up is not an okay thing to do. You cheated on your diet? It's ok. You skipped a gym day? It's ok. You didn't do so hot on an exam? It's ok. Those things are not the end of the world. They are typical things that happen and there is absolutely no reason to beat yourself up for it. Guess what... YOU'RE HUMAN! Oh my goodness who would have imagined?! And guess what, humans aren't perfect and they make mistakes. You're your hardest critic, try to go easy every once and a while.

4. Focus on what you love about yourself - not what you wish you could change

This is one I struggle with so very much. As girls it is so easy to look in the mirror and look at only the things we wish we could change. We need to stop doing this because it just is not necessary at all. We should love ourselves. We were given the body we have for a reason and we should cherish it, love it, and appreciate it.

Other people are gonna tear you down. That is one of the main reasons you should be your biggest supporter. Before you go to bed at night write down one thing you love about yourself that way when you're having a bad day you can look back and remind yourself how awesome you are!!!

5. Smile more

Yes, smile. This small act can actually make you feel so much better. There is something about someone's true, genuine smile that is just completely and utterly beautiful.