5 Ways To Stop Feeling Sorry For Yourself

It’s impossible not to get caught up in what everyone else is doing, especially with social media at our fingertips.

191
Lesly B. Juarez

In today’s world, it’s impossible not to get caught up in what everyone else is doing, especially with social media at our fingertips. There’s about a million ways to show the world what you ate for lunch, or the fun pool party you’re hanging at through the lens of about 15 different filter options. I love social media and always will—but for some, it leaves people feeling jealous or sorry for themselves. As human nature would have it, jealousy is a normal reaction to seeing someone have something you want. And sometimes it’s not even jealousy that’s getting us down on ourselves, it's our own self-confidence and dependency. Self-pity is an easy way to place your unhappiness on someone or something else. Being the “victim” of your life and feeling sorry for yourself can soon start to take precedent and become your mask. But don’t get stuck behind that mask! We all experience some sort of self-pity, whether we want to admit it or not. For myself, this is a constant rollercoaster of getting caught up in other people and finding ways to take me out of these slumps. Here are a few of my tricks when you start feeling down!

1. Take a step back from social media.

Yeah, I said it. Take a hiatus from your most used social media apps (*ahem* @snapchat @instagram) and focus on who and what is right in front of you. Like I mentioned, social media can be one of the biggest triggers for people, myself included. Fixing your attention on what your peers are doing in this very moment isn’t going to solve any of your problems. In fact, doing so will make you feel a lot worse. By removing yourself from this online world, you are forced to live in the moment and do what makes you the happiest. Snap some pics for yourself this time!

2. Don’t compare yourself to others.

This one can be a little difficult; I admit to doing this as well. When comparing yourself to others, especially celebrities, it’s very easy to lose sight of reality and get stuck in a dream world. Sure, that girl may look like she has the absolute dream life, job, and boyfriend, but you have no idea what goes on behind the camera. Everyone shows their best self to the camera because let’s be honest, who wants everyone to know they have struggles? Rhetorical answer: no one!! Instead of getting upset or down because you don’t have those things, take the time to figure out what you want, and then go for it yourself! Don’t stop until you get to where you want to be.

3. Go solo!

You want that super delicious ice cream you saw on Facebook? Wanna see that funny movie? Go do it! There are no rules saying that you can’t go somewhere alone. The only person you need to be concerned about making happy is yourself, not your cyber-self! Personally, I love taking walks, going shopping and even eating by myself. Taking time out of my day to focus on my happiness and assess what I need to feel at my best is important. While you may feel a little out of place being alone, not depending on anyone to fulfill your happiness will make it worth it. Dependency can be the biggest confidence killer, especially when you are relying on one person to make you feel at your greatest. Find content within yourself, not someone else.

4. Be confident in who you are.

You don’t have plans every night of the week and you don’t go out partying as much as everyone else seems to be, but so what? Is that what really defines who a person is? As hard as it can be to avoid getting caught up in others lives with social media, it’s crucial to focus on what is actually valuable. Being hard-working, a great friend and charismatic are qualities that will get you far in life—not how many followers, likes you get or how often you go out. Just be you and not everyone else.

5. Write down what you’re grateful for.

By keeping a running list of all of the things you are grateful for (i.e- great friends, a home the cutest dog on the planet) you are automatically looking at all of the positive aspects in your life. Sure, some things may not be perfect, but channeling your thoughts on all of the awesome things you do have is guaranteed to make you smile! Looking at this list will allow you to take a step back and realize you have a million things to be grateful for.