5 Ways to Improve Your Prayer Life

5 Ways to Improve Your Prayer Life

Having a good prayer life sounds daunting, these 5 things helped me along the way

370
5 Ways to Improve Your Prayer Life
Crosswalk

Throughout my walk in faith, God has placed convictions on my heart several times. Most recently, the Lord has placed a persistent message in my life to work on my prayer life. Starting or reinvigorating your prayer life seems so daunting, so here's a quick list of the five things that have helped me the most.

1. Pray that God makes prayer a priority in your life

Anytime you want to take action on what the Lord has placed on your help, you start by talking to Him. It only makes sense, but we so often forget to go to Him first when starting any new journey. I know this is something I never really prayed about until recently.

2. Find an accountability partner

After praying, remember that God encourages us to keep each other accountable. Iron sharpens iron. I asked one of my closest friends to keep me accountable to praying. Accountability partnerships look different for everyone. In mine, we text each other reminders to pray and make sure we pray before meals. Make sure you are praying for your prayer accountability partner.

3. Figure out the way you connect with God the best

I recently learned that I feel most connected to God when I express everything verbally. Some people connect with God through music, reading out loud, highlighting, group studies, etc. Find what works for you and do it.

4. Let go of the "aesthetic" prayer life

This hindered my prayer life for years. I always wanted a perfect, pretty prayer journal. I wanted to have these beautiful aesthetic looks to everything I did, ideas straight out of Pintrest. But, I would get discouraged because I wouldn't have time or I would set it aside until I had sufficient time and I would never pray. Pray whenever you can. If you want to journal, remember it doesn't have to look pretty because it's just you and God.

5. Pray through the Psalms

Sometimes we don't even know where to start or what to say when we are praying. Thankfully, God provided us with His Word. Praying through the Psalms and adding petitions when it feels natural is such a great way to start.