5 Ways To Get Organized

5 Ways To Get Organized

Do it now and thank yourself later

45
5 Ways To Get Organized
Lori Miggins Fitness

In just a week or two we'll all be heading back to school and will start to feel the panic of a brand new semester. Even though we've only been away from school for five or so weeks, the beginning of the spring semester always proves to be a struggle for me, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Going back to school always manages to screw me up and I can never get organized enough to really be efficient the first couple of weeks. Since the year is still new and many of us are still sticking to our resolutions, here are my top 5 ways to get, and hopefully stay, organized.

1.Get a planner

From homework assignments, to group projects, club meetings and any other things you need to remember to do, getting some kind of planner is the best way to keep them all straight and make sure everything gets done on time. While you can get a standard yearly one at pretty much any store that carries books or office supplies, buying one every year can get kind of expensive. Which is why an alternative to a regular planner is something called a bullet journal, which is what I use to keep organized all you need is a notebook with graph paper and a pen and that's about it. I started using mine in 2015 and can use it until all of the pages are full. To learn more about bullet journaling you can check out this tutorial here or you can do whatever feels right for you.

2.Use Labels

While you may not need to label absolutely everything you use, like your pencils and crayons, labeling your different folders, binders and notebooks for each class you intend on using them for will ensure that all of your notes, handouts and assignments for each class will stay together. I can't tell you how many times I've forgotten which notebook I used for each class or lost assignments because I've put them in the wrong folder.

3.Have a place for everything and always put it back

I am constantly guilty of taking something out of my desk, backpack or folder and just laying it wherever I happen to be once I finish using it. Which usually ends up with my desk being too messy to use and no pens where they're supposed to be. I am also guilty of trying to organize my room, not knowing where to put something and just plopping it down somewhere. By having a place for everything and making an effort to always put it back your desk, dresser or whatever will always be in order and you'll be less likely to loose the important stuff.

4. Make Lists

Lists aren't only for grocery shopping. Writing down stuff in a planner is the best way to keep your homework, appointments and meetings organized, things that don't have a specific deadline, like laundry or grocery shopping, are still important to remember. Writing out a list on a whiteboard or leaving it out on your desk is a good way to keep track of the things that need to get done but don't always need to be scheduled.

5. Don't be hard on yourself when you screw up

No matter how hard you try, how many labels you make or how diligently you look at your planner you will screw up. You'll overlook a homework assignment, miss a meeting or forget about your laundry. And that's okay. Most of the time when you screw up you end up getting discouraged and can't find the motivation to get back on track. So probably the most important way to stay organized is to know that it's okay to slip up and that no one is perfect. It'll be easier to stay organized if you don't swear every oversight.