5 Ways To Decompress When You're Stressed

Sometimes we all need a break.

121
Unsplash

With midterms, papers, homework, studying and work, school can often get a little stressful. I don't care what anyone says, the life of a college student can definitely be hard sometimes.

Occasionally, you need a place to go or something to do to decompress and get your mind off of everything. Here are five ways you can decompress:

1. Hanging with your friends

For me, this is an immediate decompressor and one of the first things I do when I am stressed. Whenever I am with them, my friends always make me laugh until my stomach hurts. I know I can always forget about all of the work I have to do, or tests I have coming up and just enjoy the moment with them.

If I am stressed, upset, or need to take my mind off of something, they are always there when I need it. Hanging out with your friends is probably one of the best and easiest ways to de-stress.

2. Working out

Another one of my necessary decompressors is working out. If you have a lot of anxiety or stress about something, going for a run or a workout class is one of the best things to do. Not to mention, it helps you get in shape, so it’s a two for one! A workout is always better when you're stressed and need to get out all of your tension.

3. Enjoying a night out

An obvious one: going out at night. After a long day of classes, homework, tests and studying in the library, going out is sometimes all you need. Whether it’s the Kollege Klub or Double U, there are plenty of places to go to in Madison on a night out.

A Thursday night out in Madison is bound to be fun and relieve any worries you have for the evening.

4. Netflix

Let's be honest, who doesn't love a good Netflix and chill? The perfect way to relax (and honestly the only thing I want to do on most days) is to lay in bed and watch Netflix. Laying in bed and watching one of your favorite movies or shows is an easy way to decompress and forget about all the stress in your life.

Who doesn't love a good Netflix marathon?

5. Listen to music

Sometimes all you need when you’re stressed is to get out of your head and forget everything... Music is the perfect way to do this. Whether you go for a walk with your headphones in or blast your speakers in your room and dance, this is one of the best ways to forget about all the work you have (even if it’s just for a few minutes) and release all of your stress and anxiety.