5 New Upcoming Artists Looking To Infect Your Playlist

Ever find yourself saying "Really? They're playing this song again?"

26
next2shine.com

"Really? This song again?"

I find myself asking this question every day when I turn on the radio. It feels as though most radio stations have given up on giving new & upcoming artists the time of day. They'd much rather make a short playlist of 7-10 of the most popular songs, playing those on repeat with some witty pre-recorded commentary thrown in the middle somewhere. That's not to say I don't love the Billboard: Top 40, but there are plenty of amazing artists out there who don't receive the recognition they deserve for one reason or another. Here are just a few that are definitely worth a listen.

1. Dorothy

Dorothy is an American rock band who takes what made rock so amazing in the 80s and breathes new life into it here in 2016. With their latest album Rock Is Dead, the band pulled no punches with tracks like Raise Hell or Wicked Ones. All summer I've found myself headbanging to some hardcore metal riffs that I'd expect from classic bands like Sabbath. If you're a fan of classic hardcore rock, then Dorothy will keep your neighbors complaining until you fall asleep from rocking out all night.

2. Saniyé

A true diamond in the rough you won't be able to find most of her tracks on Youtube, and she has just over one-hundred monthly listeners on the popular music app Spotify. However, Saniyé proves that an artists fan-base isn't always akin to the quality of music. Her latest album Let's Play features a salacious feel-good vibe with jazz undertones that should capture the heart of anyone who's a fan of late 90s or early 00s pop.

3. Starship Amazing

Psychedelic beats with nerdy sounds and unusual flows are the bread & butter of the electronic-chiptune duo that is Starship Amazing. From their first album Zoom Zoom Internet to their latest full length audio experience Ruby Dagger, duo has constantly proven that you don't need lyrics to evoke emotion through music. While it might not be mainstream, Starship Amazing is bound to capture the hearts and ears of all those who are even a little bit nerdy.

4. Nikki Yanofsky

Ever feel like this generation of music has strayed away from what makes music so great? Too many electronic beats, remember when artists had actual bands playing for them? Well look no farther than miss Nikki Yanofsky. Nikki is all about bringing back the classic feeling of late 50s Pop and R&B. From captivating emotional tracks like Out Of Nowhere to more light-hearted songs like Something New, Nikki will have you feeling like you're back in the 50s as she do-wops her way into your playlist.

5. Kiesza

Kiesza is the most prominent artist on this list, having had her one smash hit Hideaway top the charts in several countries. However, beyond that the majority of her music has received little to no mainstream attention. Whether I'm popping to Giant In My Heart, crying to Cut Me Loose, or break dancing to Hideaway, just about every song on her album tells a story that connects with the listener. I was born in the late 90s but listening to Kiesza's debut album Sound Of A Woman makes me miss the good old days of the 80s.