5 Truths About Your First Semester At College

As of a few months ago, I am officially finished with my first semester at college. There's a lot of things about college that you'll be expecting, but here are five that I wasn't prepared for.

252

1. Moving out is hard

Since I was a kid, one of my nicknames has been Miss Independent. Starting in middle school, I eagerly awaited college and even started intensive research. I couldn't wait to live on my own and take care of myself; but moving out is a lot harder than I expected. I thought I would be more prepared for college than any of my friends because of my role as a summer overnight counselor. For nine weeks in the summer, I am responsible not only for myself, but for the eight girls in my cabin, and any other kids under my supervision at any given time. I figured, how hard could it be to just be held responsible for myself now? Answer: hard. I was in for a rude awakening when I packed up my life and moved seven hours away last August. I really do believe my past experiences have prepared me for living on my own more than the average college student, but don't underestimate how hard it is to create your new life. That being said, don't forget that this is something every college freshman goes through.

2. You'll lose friends

The sad truth is that you will lose friends from high school, and it is inevitable. (If someone tells you otherwise, they're either in denial or lying.) More often than not your friendships won't end through malicious intent, but rather just the fact that you're both busy living your new lives. The first semester helps you distinguish your genuine friends from the ones you were friends with because you were in the same building five days a week. There's nothing wrong with those friends, either; they were great for the time being! But, ultimately, you'll find yourself surrounded by a group of people who are the best fit for you.

3. You might become depressed

I'm not diagnosing you with a depressive disorder, but I am saying there's a chance you'll develop depressive symptoms, such as excessive fatigue, restlessness, homesickness, loss of interest, insomnia, oversleeping, pessimistic thoughts, or an overwhelming feeling of persistent sadness. I realize how bad this makes the idea of college seem, but this is all part of the adjustment period you would experience anywhere. No one told me how vulnerable freshmen are to these symptoms before I became one. I felt more alone than ever in my emotions, but quickly came to learn that everyone experiences these at least once.

4. No one's life is perfect

Your Instagram feed will consist of your high school peers, and even people at your college, looking like they're having the time of their life. Maybe they are- but I promise they're dealing with something I've listed above, too. No one likes to post the shitty parts of life when they can show off their (in some cases, fake) happiness. (If you're looking to commiserate, check out Twitter or Tumblr.)

5. You might doubt yourself, but it'll work out in the end

I picked a small college and was more than confident in my decision…until it was time to pack up my life and move. During the first semester, I regretted my decision to go to this specific college because I missed living in a big city and being surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people. But, by second semester, I remembered why I had picked this school to begin with. The small class sizes helped me make relationships with my professor; I always wanted to be a name with a face, not just a number. The small town is in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, where I've spent weekends hiking and immersing myself into nature. Once I got through the initial stage of culture shock and freshman troubles, I knew I'd picked the right school. Unfortunately, some people genuinely end up disliking their choice of college or the idea of college in general. These are the people who usually end up transferring or dropping out, and they may view the semester(s) they spent in college as a waste, but I believe their experiences have just reassured them that they weren't meant for the college life. Honestly, it's not for everyone. My suggestion, though, is to stick it out for at least two semesters; had I left after my first semester, I wouldn't have recognized what I had going for me here, and I wouldn't trade it for the world.