5 Tips To Battle Depression

5 Tips To Battle Depression

For those with loved ones suffering and wish to help, or those suffering and want to help themselves.

44
5 Tips To Battle Depression
AddictionCam

As someone who suffers from frequent depression knows, it's a bitch. It's hard, it's rough, and it's not for sissies. However, there are way to help yourself or someone you love battle depression. Now, not all these work on every single person, but when put together, they may just be the remedy for helping stave off some of depressions worst side effects.

*PLEASE NOTE THE THINGS LISTED HERE ARE NO SUBSTITUTE FOR GETTING DIAGNOSED AND TREATED BY AN ACTUAL PSYCHIATRIST. IF SYMPTOMS PERSIST FOR LONGER THAN A WEEK AND/OR THE PERSON SUFFERING FROM DEPRESSION IS FEELING SUICIDAL, (OR HAS ATTEMPTED SUICIDE) GO TO THE ER.*

1. Eat chocolate

In simple English, chocolate replaces some of the chemicals that your body is lacking when you are feeling depressed.

2. Go to sleep

That nap you're wanting in the middle of the day when you have 10 other things you need to do? Do it. Your body is telling you that you are sick (wow, shocker, depression is considered a sickness) and that you need rest. Set an alarm for 20-25 minutes. This is enough for you to rest and recharge without feeling groggy.

3. Do not treat yourself.

When you are depressed, you are most likely to be impulsive and if you impulsively buy, you are hurting yourself in the long run. So don't treat yourself! Unless you're treating yourself to chocolate. THEN EAT ALL THE CHOCOLATE!

4. Snuggle up with someone or something.

Normally, I'd say snuggle up with someone/significant other, but seeing as a common cause of depression is losing a significant other or someone else important in your life, a stuffed animal, really good best friend, or a willing/unwilling pet will suffice.

5. Remember that this is all going to pass eventually.

That's right. The number one trick many of my friends (myself included) have stated that helped their depression is remembering that it will pass eventually. That person who broke your heart? There is a good chance you won't even remember their last name five years down the line. That class you flunked? Hey! You can always take it again or, better yet, it won't even matter when you cross the graduation stage with a good GPA, in spite of flunking that class. What if I have seasonal depression? Then, you already know once the season ends, so will that depression.

The overall lesson here is to stay strong. Don't give into those little voices telling you to end it. It'll all be fine. Do that activity you love! Who cares if it took you two hours to do a task that should only take you 30 minutes? The fact is that you did it and you will keep doing it. Don't give into little things. Your life is worth so much more than that. So you lost your phone? Big deal! You can replace it eventually, but no one can replace you whether it's down the road or not. There is only one you and you can do it. We all believe in you!