5 Tips To Ease Mental Health During The Election

This 2020 election is sending us on a mental rollercoaster.

28
Pexels via Artem Beliaikin

The election is a huge deal because it determines who will lead our country. This year the election has been a close race, not knowing who might win. We have been waiting for results for a while and stressed about the election, so here are some tips to relieve stress during the time.

1. Don't spend too much time on social media

Every social media site is filled with friends and families telling others to vote, which is important, but some people are announcing who they are voting for. This can cause stress if we see our friends or family members not voting the same as us. It seems that many people are not in the middle this year, but completely left or completely right, which adds to the stress of this election. It's good to take time away from social media and from everyone's opinions on the election because every social media site is flooded with people's opinions right now.

2. Turn off the TV or change the channel

The election lasts for hours or sometimes multiple days so there is no need to sit and watch all of it. The results will not change based on if you stop watching. It's good to be educated and updated, but not to the point where the election outcomes are stressing you out.

3. Live in the moment

Enjoy time with friends and family or whoever is around you. My roommates and I turned off the election for a little while and just talked. We did not want to continually force ourselves to keep up with every second of the election. We just searched updates every now and then.

4. Play some music

I have to admit ever since Halloween ended, I have been listening to Christmas music. Christmas music makes me feel so peaceful, but at the same time, it brings me so much joy and excitement. Whenever I have been feeling stressed recently, I have been jamming out to Christmas music to brighten my mood.

5. Go on a walk or mediate

Lately, the weather has been feeling so nice and cool here in Florida. I have been enjoying going on runs or skateboarding to clear my mind. If you're in a state where it's colder, it's still nice to go outside, or if it's snowing, simply enjoy the snow and the nature around you to clear your thoughts and relieve stress.