4 Times John Mayer Was Able To Say The Things We All Thought, But Could Not Verbalize

Maybe this why he's still so popular even after over a decade later.

181
Wikimedia

John Mayer is not only an immensely talented musician (and not to mention, hella dreamy), but he has been known to somehow verbalize various emotions that all of us have all felt before. If you listen closely to his lyrics, you will notice this incredible ability is prominent in almost every one of his tunes.

Though there are so many to choose from, I've selected just a handfull of his songs that best put into words the feelings we have all had throughout our lives.

1. Dreaming With A Broken Heart

If the lyrics "When you're dreaming with a broken heart, The waking up is the hardest part" doesn't automatically get you into your feels, then I'm not sure what will. In this song Mayer says that sometimes dreams are better than reality because you get to be with the one you love, even if you can't be with them in real life. He goes on to sing about how he would rather be asleep because that is the only time he gets to feel like he is with her. Even if we've never thought about it before, no one can deny that waking up from a good dream like that isn't easy.

2. Stop This Train

This 2006 jam still rings true eleven years later. "Stop this train, I want to get off and go home again, I can't take the speed it's moving in" perfectly puts into words the feeling we all probably have deep down when it comes to growing up. No one wants to leave their twenties to grow up and have actual responsibilities and bills. We're all thinking it, but John Mayer puts it more eloquently than any of us ever could.

3. Who You Love

RIP to Katy Perry and John Mayer's relationship, but at least we got some good songs out of it. "Who You Love" describes those relationships that no one saw coming, especially if it is one you tried to avoid. Maybe it's your best guy friend or your best friend's ex, but as John Mayer puts it, "I tried to run before, But I'm not running anymore, 'Cause I've fought against it hard enough to know." It may not be the most expected or convenient relationship but you can't dismiss who you love.

4. My Stupid Mouth

The classic tale of saying something you probably shouldn't have and regretting it is the epitome of this jam. Mayer says, "I'm never speaking up again, It only hurts me, I'd rather be a mystery, Than she desert me." We've all been there; saying something we wish we hadn't just seconds later and then swearing we will never open up again in fear of ruining a relationship. Mayer is telling us, it's okay, it happens to everyone.