5 Things You Shouldn't Say To An Education Major

It's more than just coloring... 1/19

7
Kids Love to Know

Being an Education major is rewarding in itself, however; the absurd and simpleminded comments said from peers never ceases to anger me. All college students who are in the Education major can agree that we are sick and tired of the comments that are made to us on a day to day basis when our major is brought up in conversation. Here is a list of what not to say to a person who is studying education because quite frankly, we do not want to hear it anymore.

1. "You're so lucky, you get to play with kids all day!"

This one is probably the most aggravating. If you think shaping the minds of the future of our nation is "playing", then you must be deranged. Teaching children how to read and write, how to do math, and how to be civil citizens all at the same time is not a walk in the park, and most definitely, not playing.

2. "Ugh, I have to take the GRE."

Oh you do? Please tell me more while I am stressing over taking my certification tests, which in New York can be three or four exams to be completed in undergrad. Also, depending on what graduate school we want to go to (which we have no choice but to get a masters in New York) we also have to take the GRE on top of our other exams. Please take your pity party somewhere else.

3. "The classes you take must be so easy."

If by easy you mean I am staying up all night creating lesson plans that will be torn apart and result in a pile of my tears, then yeah it must be easy. The classes are far from easy, and the expectations held upon us sometimes becomes unbearable. No college wants to place a teacher out in the field with their name attached that will lower the credibility of their program, so our classes push us to the limit. Many people switch out of the major before they even enter the most difficult classes in the program.

4. "I could never be an Education major, kids are brats."

Then I guess it is a good thing you're not. I'd rather be surrounded with 20+ children all day that you may consider "bratty" than be around adults like you who lack the ability to think with common sense.

5. "You won't make any money."

Tell us something we don't know. Teachers are not in it for the money, we are doing it because we love it. We love coming in every day and educating a child, seeing how happy the students get when they finally understand a math problem, and most of all we love the countless "I love you" drawings. At least we will be happy with what we do, money is not everything.

So to all my fellow education majors out there, you are not alone. We are under appreciated and consistently have to justify our chosen career path. Never forget why you picked this major in the first place and never forget how much what you are doing matters for the future, other people certainly will.