5 Things I Wish I Could Tell My High School Self

Trust me, they're not your glory days.
6

We all had our identities in high school: jock, cheerleader, brainiac, outcast, sexually inclined, etc. When we entered the world of college, we shed those ridiculous, restraining stereotypes and developed a new sense of identity and purpose (or are now closer to finding it). But, while we were still in the hallowed halls of our alma mater, we did not yet know this valuable piece of information—or many other important things. Listed here are five things I wish I could tell my high school self.

1. High school popularity does not matter

This form of popularity is literally irrelevant to the majority of your life. That is, unless you’re one of those sad souls that peaked at the ripe age of 18. Trust me, nobody cares if you were prom queen in college. When you leave high school, leave all the drama there with it.

2. Don't be afraid to take risks

By risks, I don’t mean getting plastered and jumping off a two-story building. Join a weird club, try out for a sports team or just do something spontaneous and new. You’ll never get a more perfect chance to try strange things and fail or succeed at them. Who knows, maybe you'll find your passion.

3. Don't judge a book by its cover

Just because somebody isn’t in the “cool” crowd, it doesn’t mean they’re not cool (actually they’re usually cooler). Inversely, just because somebody is “popular” doesn’t mean they’re actually a cool person.

4. Your bad eyeliner at prom isn't the end of the world

Trust me, you won’t even remember whatever dance-related malfunction you’re having in a year. Dances are actually the most ridiculously unnecessary form of stress ever. Just go, dance your heart out and make some memories with your friends.

5. Value the time you have with your best friends

In a year, the closest thing you’ll have to a sleepover is a poorly-connected FaceTime call. Enjoy the small amount of time you have with the ones that mean the most.

In the end, all that matters is that you come out of that place with a diploma and a plan for the future. Don’t let four years define the rest of your life.