5 Things That Happen When You Start A New Crime Show

With each show, it's just another cycle of emotions.

37

With every new crime show that is made for television, there is the string of thoughts that happen as you watch. Through each series, you sense familiar situations with similar character types but no matter what, you always get hooked on the crime show. From the insanely popular shows to the lesser known but equally as thrilling shows, here are the top 5 things that happen when you watch crime shows.

1. You become a crime expert immediately.

Every crime show has their own terms and lingo that you instantly pick up on when watching. After a few episodes, you know it all and can probably use those terms in your own daily conversations, though you probably really shouldn’t. There’s probably a reason why only law enforcement and the military use those terms. How often in a conversation can you talk about details of a deceased victim or military covert mission terms? Pro tip: don’t try to be an expert on TV crime when talking to actual authorities; it might get embarrassing.

2. You can (mostly) tell who the bad person is from the start of the episode.

Each episode of a crime show has certain vibes from the first scene. Will it be a funny episode or a serious and dramatic one? The same feeling goes to who you think the bad person is. For me, I can always tell when one of the characters acts odd or different than a character like theirs should, which usually leads to a backstory plot to figure out why that character is the way they are. More often than not, from the beginning of an episode, you’re trying intently to either confirm or deny your suspicions.

3. You become emotionally attached to the characters.

As each episode builds on, you know when characters you like, you love, you tolerate, and the ones you just can’t stand. Your favorite characters should get the most screen time and stories, of course, but with each increasing minute you see them on TV, you just have to know what’ll happen to them. Every time there’s a serious plot that affects the cast, you might freak out about what’ll happen to your #1’s in the situation.

4. “To be continued” episode scare and excite you at the same time

Especially if you watch your crime show live when it airs for the first time, continuous episodes scare you the most. All you can do is think and ponder for an entire week (or worse, until the next season!) to get the answers you desperately want about your show. The waiting might be bad, but just don’t think about all the bad scenarios that could happen to your favorite characters. “To be continued” might also mean that it’s a super serious plot line, so be prepared.

5. You never ever want the series to end because you’re emotionally invested in their lives

Crime shows can vary in their length of run. Some of the truly great shows run for over 10 seasons, while some of the less popular shows run for less. Either way, if you’re invested in a show, it’s devastating no matter when it ends. All you want is for your favorite characters to live happy lives, but they’re crime fighters, so . . . they might not. The end of an episode is always the saddest part about watching a show.

Every time you start a new crime show, you might go through these 5 things. Each show is slightly different, but you can always see similarities through them, especially if you watch multiple crime shows. No matter what, you get attached to your favorite ones and thankfully more series are made all the time.