5 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

5 Things I Wish I Knew In High School

I may have learned a few things about how to be an adult, but there were still some things I didn't know.

126
5 Things I Wish I Knew In High School
Hartford Courant

For some people, high school was the best days of their lives. For others, it was the worst. I landed in the middle. Do I ever wish I could go back to high school? The answer; absolutely not. I couldn't wait to graduate and finally get away from the people that I had been going to school with since kindergarten. Of course, there are some small things that I will miss about my high school experience and I did learn a lot while in high school. And yes, I know high school was supposed to get us to learn new things. I'm talking about the lessons we learned about how to be a functioning adult in the future. I may have learned a few things about how to be an adult, but there were still some things I didn't know. Here are things I wish I would have known in high school!

1. Everyone can see what you posted on Facebook

I was the queen of posting stupid and awkward things on Facebook, and because of Facebook's new thing about showing you your memories, I get to relive those awful post over and over again. Thansks Facebook!

2. You don't have to wear makeup just because everyone else is

As much as I hate to admit this, I was one of those 'wanna be goth' girls who wore raccoon eyeliner and listened to Of Mice and Men. And let me be clear, I didn't like the Goth look, and I didn't like Of Mice and Men either. I only did those things because my friends did. Thankfully I got out of that phase quick enough. After that I tried to look like all the other girls in my school who could do their makeup with their eyes closed and still look awesome. That wasn't for me either, so I quit wearing makeup all together. Now that was for me. I was never very good at makeup so I figured, why wear it? I liked myself well enough without makeup and I honestly didn't care what everyone else had to say.

3. Not everyone will like you, and that is okay

While I like to think that I was one of those cool high school girls who didn't care what anyone else thought and always spoke what was on her mind, I wasn't. While I honestly didn't care what anyone else thought about me, towards the end of my high school years, I found myself trying to change myself a little to impress others. Whether it was the way I dress or the way I talked, I tried to act more like the rest of the girls just so they would notice me. Now that I look back, I'm really glad I changed my style. The boy comic t-shirts seriously had to go. I don't think that changing yourself to impress people is wrong, as long as you do it for the right reasons. I was trying to change myself to get other people to notice and like me more, but I was also trying to change myself because I wasn't happy wearing the clothes I was wearing. I know I wasn't popular, like at all, and I was basically known because of proximity and because I had been going to the same school as the majority of my high school class since kindergarten; and while a lot of people knew my name, a lot of people did not like me. I think back on that now I am so glad that people didn't like me. I like being the girl who was in the background and now, I am completely fine with not everyone liking me. What's the fun in being everyone's friend?

4. Listen to your mom when she says she doesn't like that one friend

I don't think I had a lot of bad friends in high school; the majority of them I am still friends with, but I know I had a few. My mom is definitely one of those mom's who has no problem telling you she does not like your friends and she was right not to. At the time I never listened to her about it and continued being friends with them. I liked to think that I was a smart kid, who occasionally did stupid things, so I knew on my own if what my friends weren't good friends. Thankfully, those toxic friendships ended on their own without me getting into any serious trouble. And while my mom's nagging about my friends were very annoying while I was younger, looking at where those friends are now, I'm glad she annoyed me with her worrying.

5. It's a bad day, not a bad life

Being a high schooler means being a teenager. Being a teenager means being hormonal. Being hormonal means thinking every bad day is going to be your last day. That one bad grade, that one heart break, that one bad moment is not the end of your life. Trust me when I say, I had a lot of bad days and if you asked me if the world was going to end on one of those days, I would have said yes. There isn't anything I can say that can help you through those bad days. I guess you just have to remember that it is your life and you are the one in control, so don't let those bad days take it from you