5 Things In My Childhood Closet That Make Me Regret My Old Back To School Outfits

Reliving that feeling of picking out the best first day of school outfit, but with 2020's standards.

111
Jenna Scheuerlein

The night before school started was always so hectic in my house as a child. Figuring out what I was going to wear, how I was going to style my hair, filling up my backpack with all my new folders and binders, you know the works. Every year I picked the best pieces (or what I thought was the best) from my back to school haul and I created the best outfit possible. They were great in the moment but now I'm back to give them a 2020 style review. These are some of the worst things I wore in my back to school outfits as a kid.

1. Jeggings

Jenna Scheuerlein

I honestly don't even think I need to explain. The long, sparkly, hot pink, t-shirt dress with jean leggings underneath made for an absolutely unmatched combination. Still not exactly sure why I had to wear a dress over them, you might have to ask my mom about that one.

2. Fake glasses.

Why would an eight year old with 20/20 vision want to wear glasses? I remember begging my mom to buy me these from Claire's, where they called them "fashion glasses". NEWSFLASH: there is absolutely nothing fashionable about hot pink, checkered, glasses, with rectangular frames and lenses that do nothing for your eyesight.

3. Graphic Tees.

Jenna Scheuerlein

Don't get me wrong I still love a good graphic tee every once in a while. However, on the first day of school in second grade, I decided to pull out all the stops and wear a graphic tee from the "Sonny With A Chance" collection at target. I thought it was so cute because Demi Lovato designed it. Obviously I was wrong. Also, to make the outfit even better, I paired it with a skirt that had leggings attached. The level of swag was through the roof that day.

4. Fake hair?

Jenna Scheuerlein

Before I began writing this article I did a very necessary deep dive through my mom's facebook. Unfortunately, I found this photo. I have to say, the outfit isn't bad, so props to fifth grade me on that one. However, I'm wearing a braided headband made out of fake hair. Not acceptable. Like why didn't I just use my own hair instead of going to pick up a headband full of braided extensions at Sally's Beauty Supply?

5. Anything from the GAP.

Jenna Scheuerlein

First day of middle school. Going for a professional look, gotta impress all of the older guys right? A blazer will definitely do the trick. WRONG. I was 11! Why was I shopping in the women's section at the GAP! Sorry sixth grade Jenna, but teenage boys don't like girls that wear clothes that were made for a 55 year old business woman. I'm positive that this is as bad as it gets.