5 Lessons 2017 Gave To Me That I'll Always Hold Onto

I have grown as a person and learned more about myself than any other year.

120

Another year is approaching its end and we now are setting goals for the next one. But we cannot forget about the lessons we learned in 2017. For me, this is the year I have learned about myself the most and put a lot of things in perspective. It was a year where I realized what I needed to keep in my life and what needed to be pushed away. As I get ready for 2018, I think about all of the events in 2017 that has led me to being the person I am right now, writing this article.

Here are some things I learned that have changed my life the most.

1. You need to learn how to move on.

After my best friend in the entire world, my mom, lost her battle with cancer, I couldn't picture what my life would look like. At some times I still can't. To have someone so close to you suddenly leave your life will make you think and feel things you never felt before. I remember even questioning what my purpose was now that I didn't have my mom by my side.

But, a couple months have gone by and the wounds are healing. There isn't a day I don't think about her, but I know that she is always with me. As much as life without her stings, I learned how to function. She would not want me wasting my life away drowning in sorrow. It's not easy but I know it is what she would have wanted me to do.

2. The "friend" that makes you think twice about yourself needs to go.

There were a couple of different scenarios this year that have caused me to distance myself from people I used to think were friends. I was changing my image and behavior just so I could feel like I was accepted. I was crying myself to sleep every night because I heard the things they would say, yet still call them my good friends. When trying to ask my friends for help, I was just ignored and for some reason, it was my fault. These people are not worth the tears and the comparison.

3. God shows his presence in your life and others around the world.

It is almost impossible to ignore God's work on earth. He is everywhere. Amazing things happen because of him. It is OK to have doubts and even question your faith, but in the end, God is so good and LOVES you. This was something so hard for me to remember during the darkest time of my life — he breathes the life I so desperately needed.

4. It is OK to admit that you are not OK.

After my mom passed away, I fell into a dark place in my life. It was something completely new and I didn't understand what was happening. I felt desperate, alone, and scared. But for some reason I thought that if I told people that I was OK, I would start to be myself soon enough. As weeks went on, I was falling deeper and deeper. I saw myself living a life I didn't want, but was unavoidable at this point. it wasn't until I finally cried out loud to some good friends and said the words, "I am not OK," I felt free. I was free from all of the depressed feelings inside of me.

5. It will get better.

A lot of times in my life, I feel like everything is crashing down. I feel like it could never be fixed and I was always going to feel like this for the rest of my life. But after going into things with a clear mind, it gets better. You don't feel like everyone is out to get you and that you can finally be yourself. So no matter how terrible the situation could be, there is always going to be a brighter side.