5 Things I'd Say To My Grandpa If Heaven Wasn't So Far Away
popular

You will always be my Pap-Pap.

80347
Amanda Thompson

When we are younger we don’t think much about losing a grandparent. We think we have time and that often leaves us forgetting to say the things that are in our heart. Years later and I still feel the ache of the absence of my grandfather and have many regrets of the things I had wished I had said.

1. I am proud to be your granddaughter

I am always told how lucky I am to have had a grandfather like you, and those who tell me that couldn’t be more right. I can’t help but feel so proud when people who worked alongside you, or friends who knew you the best tell me the heartfelt stories of the man you were and how proud he was of his family. You always were a hardworking man who always put his family first. You are my inspiration to work hard for the things I want in life and that is one of the many reasons you helped shape who I am today and I couldn’t be more grateful.

2. I actually didn’t mind the oldies music

As much as I’d beg you to turn the station or to change the CD, looking back some of those tunes were not that bad. Honestly I'd give anything to ride in your truck and listen to you hum along or watch you tap your thumbs on the steering wheel.

3. I miss you and I love you

I miss you and I love you more than anything. It is so easy to want to pick up the phone and call you when something major has happened or when my parents just don’t get how I feel. You will always hold a special place in my heart no matter what. The last few weeks you were here I will cherish for the rest of my life.

4. I’ll save you a seat

Words cannot express how I felt looking into the crowd at my high school graduation and not seeing you there smiling; it was a day we looked forward to. Words cannot express how I feel knowing that I won’t see you at my college graduation. You’d be so proud. Words cannot express how I feel knowing that I won’t see the tears in your eyes at my wedding or that when I start my own family I won’t see you walk through my hospital door. However, words can express the love that I feel knowing that you will be there in my heart and I promise I will save you a seat.

5. Most importantly, thank you

Thank you for the lessons along the way. Thank you for the stories of the good ‘ole days. I may have heard the stories a million times but I promise I heard every one. Thank you for spoiling me but also showing me what hard work can get me. Thank you for coming to my sport events, you were always my number 1 fan. And lastly thank you for the memories that I will have with me for the rest of my life, and the stories I will be able to tell my own children one day.