5 Facts And Questions That WILL Give You An Existential Crisis

Haven't felt creeped out or insignificant? Worry not! I'm here to help!
1980

Sometimes we all think of things that we wish we didn't. Whether it be the futility of life, you will most likely be forgotten in only a few generations or how sausage and hot dogs are made, everyone has an existential crisis from time to time. Well, don't get to excited, but here are a few other things to keep you up all night! Please, thank me later.

1. What is life?

An age-old question reexamined. Not the meaning of life. What IS life? We have our basic list of things that classify something as alive or not, but as for the actual components of life, all we know is that several non-living things somehow make a living thing. So you're reading this as a living thing made out of trillions of living cells that are made out of zillions upon zillions of non-living things. And this device your reading from is made of the same stuff you are. One small thing separates you from being as alive as this device, and we have no idea what it is.

2. Are there other dead civilizations in the universe?

So we MAY be alone in the universe. But the universe is obscenely old. There could be other planets out there that once sustained life similar to ours but were wiped out, thinking they were the only and the best in the universe. We could be making their mistakes as we speak. And when we eventually die of the nuclear war we initiate with North Korea, life could just start on another planet. Just kidding guys. We're all going to die from an engineered super-virus that escapes from a bioengineering lab.

3. Black Holes

I... jeez. I can't even go into details on this one. It's literally the strangest thing. There's evidence that we could be in a black hole right now. There are arguments that black holes are actually other universes. There are even arguments that black holes are just errors in telescopes and satellites and such. Just...black holes.

4. How many dead things are inside of you?

So we have approximately 10-50 trillion cells in our bodies. Which is bad enough to think you have that many tenants inside of you, but about five million die every second. Which is 300 million per minute. 18,000,000,000 per hour. Feel free to continue calculating. I'd rather not think about how my body is both a cell apartment and a graveyard.

5. We are technically zombies.

Technically, we start dying the moment we are born, though this process is usually called aging. But then we also have to address how are bodies break down over time. This is the definition of decomposition, so we are decomposing as we speak. Zombies are decomposing beings who somehow manage to still function reasonably well. So, welcome to the zombie apocalypse. I have armed you with ways to trouble yourself and anyone you share this info with. Have a lovely day.