5 Things To Do In Amsterdam

5 Things To Do In Amsterdam

Don't just zone out on the party side.

18
5 Things To Do In Amsterdam
Doug Diaz

Amsterdam remains an international fan favorite for many reasons that stretch beyond weed, psychedelics, and alcohol. For example, the Venice of the North has an architectural charm that surpasses other cities in Europe.

Sure, libertines will rejoice in those aforementioned qualities, but other visitors will find a plethora of other options that don't involve hangovers. Here our some of my own recommendations to consider while you explore the labyrinth of the canals.

1. Visit art museums

Luckily, the Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, and Rembrandt House are located within walking distance of each other. All three add up to a great first day of exploration. Now you can take a glimpse into the lives of some of the most important painters in not only Dutch history but of the art world.

There is also a modern art museum but I, unfortunately, haven't visited the gallery yet, since I'm not really into modern art. However, make sure to purchase tickets for the Van Gogh Museum in advance, as the line is incredibly long.

2. Watch Royal Palace street performers

One of my fondest memories of this city is stumbling across the street performers that gather there. Besides just the typical cosplay characters, performance can be quite elaborate often calling for audience participation.

Don't be afraid to assist either, even if the performer breaks out whips and asks you to through Euro coins into the air while they lash at a close distance. The square is heavily populated well into the evening but does lose steam as the night wears on.

3. Visit the Amsterdam Museum

Located adjacent to the Royal Palace of Amsterdam, the museum is a must for first time visitors. The displays give a quick glimpse into the historical scope of Amsterdam's international influence. This includes the initial establishment, colonial influence, and finally modern developments.

One of the most interesting pieces of the building is how the museum showcases the historical city blueprints and how the canals serve as the lifeblood of the city. Additionally, the museum offers its own photography and fashion exhibits from local superstars. Certainly worth the look.

4. Bike Ride

Amsterdam is a great place, however, it can get a bit stifling around the touristy center. Even with many destinations located in this area, this shouldn't prevent you from leisurely riding a bike to other less traversed places. A few kilometers from the center visitors can escape to quieter places.

I suggest asking locals to pinpoint hidden gems in the city. For example, there are places to sunbathe along the canals that are tranquil. There have been numerous times when denizens offered to take me on a bike ride around the city. Bike provided and everything.

5. People watch along the canals

After football, people watching is Europe's second greatest spectator-related past-time. Not really into partying? That's fine! Just find a seat along the canals of the red light district and watch the comedy unfold.

Ever seen a Dutch prostitute grab a guy by the hair and call him a "God damn son of a bitch!" Well, now you can as there's a first time for everything in the Venice of the North. Who needs television when you can watch Comedy Central live in action? Exactly. That's a true story by the way.

Of course, there are plenty of other options for this magnificent city. But this serves as a decent start, especially for inexperienced newcomers. Don't be surprised at how rewarding it is to just relax along the canal banks.