5 Self-Care Tips For Your Body, Mind, And Soul

Just taking care of your mental health isn't enough.

11

Something I feel a lot of us neglect is ourselves. We don't take enough time to care for ourselves. It sounds a little selfish, but how can you really give anyone or anything your all if you aren't your best self? Mental health is just as important as physical health, but I believe they go hand-in-hand. These are 5 things that are good for both your physical and mental health that once put into a routine, are easy things to do in your daily life.

1. Yoga

An art and exercise form that has been around for more than 5,000 years. Yoga challenges you both physically and mentally. It creates a feeling of immense relaxation and it works a lot of your major muscles. And no, you do not have to be super flexible to do it. However, you will find it gets easier each time you do it.

2. Naps

A simple, yet efficient way to care for one's self. Sleep experts have found that naps can actually improve things like creativity, alertness, eases stress and anxiety, aid in weight loss, boost your memory, etc. For some, this is a less viable option to do on the day to day, but when you get the chance, take one!

3. Alone time

Some people really struggle with this, but having ample time alone can really benefit mental health. When you spend time with only yourself, it gives you the opportunity to reflect. Whether that be on your day, a conversation you had, or something that's been bothering you, being alone gives you the chance to deeply think on those things. It also lets you decompress. As humans, we need to be social but we also need to be able to be alone.

4. Eat healthy foods!

Also a simple one, but really beneficial for a lot of obvious reasons. When you take the time out of your day to make a salad or maybe an acai bowl if you're feeling artsy, it gives you the satisfaction of knowing you did something good for your body. If all your putting into it is bad for you foods, why wouldn't you expect to feel that way too? Clean eating aids in a good mind.

5. No electronic's before bed

For some, this could be difficult because your job might be completely electronic-based, but that would make this one even more important. Bedtime should be a time to decompress and relax. Your whole body and mind reset while you sleep, and you're not doing yourself any favors by showing blue light in your face right before you roll over. Blue light suppresses melatonin production for more than twice as long as other forms of light wavelengths, so put your phone away 30 minutes before you decide to hit the hay.