5 Self-Care Tips For When You're In The Dumps

There's NOTHING selfish about self care.

42
https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2017/09/06/06/09/street-art-2720456_960_720.jpg

As college students, we tend to become overwhelmed with class assignments, extracurriculars, work, socializing, and much more- so much so that we forget to pay attention and truly take care of our mental and physical health. Here are 7 things I do in order to give myself a little extra love and attention when I've been deprived of it!

Have a mini dance party.

Studies have shown that when listening to upbeat music, our bodies experience an increase in dopamine (the "motivation" molecule that is commonly paired with satisfaction and pleasure. Listening to positive and upbeat songs also helps us feel more powerful and hopeful for the future!

Write down anything good you have done.

Acknowledging your accomplishments is a sure way to both boost confidence and focus on the positive aspects of our day to day lives. Take 5 minutes each day and write down any good you have done that day, no matter how big or small so you always have a reminder of your capabilities and purpose in the world.

Take care of yourself.

Seriously people, take care of yourself in every facet possible. From mental health to physical health, do your best to set aside time to gauge how you're doing and take the appropriate steps to better yourself when necessary. Things as small as doing a facemask, painting your nails, or working out for 20 minutes are easy ways to give your body the affection it deserves!

Meditate

I'm not talking serious yoga meditation (however, if you can/want to I would highly recommend it), rather just taking out a small chunk of your day to do breathing exercises and focus on recentering yourself without any distractions. Meditation comes in many different forms to find what's best for you and incorporate it into your schedule... you deserve it!

TREAT. YO. SELF.

Honey... spoil yourself!!! You've been working so hard and doing a gazillion and one thing every day that you deserve the opportunity to reward yourself with some Netflix, junk food, a party, or whatever else you might fancy. Hell, even if you haven't done much you can still reward yourself with something! Rewarding yourself leads to happiness and happiness leads to love and everyone can use a little more of that... GO CRAZY!