5 Rules To Follow, If Nothing Else, To Get The Perfect Formal Dress From Amazon

Who wants to spend $300+ on a dress anyway?!

51

On April 14th I have a formal for my sorority, which meant I needed a evening gown.

I quickly turned to Amazon because what doesn't Amazon have? I was constantly told I was probably going to have an infamous "prom fail" but I was smart about what exactly I was buying.

I ended up with the most gorgeous dress that fit to a T. So since prom and formal season is fast approaching, I thought I would give my tips on how to properly shop for a formal/prom dress on Amazon.

1. Read reviews.

This seems like the most obvious, but you'd be surprised. Look to see what people are saying and see the dates that they posted the reviews, because as time goes on they could have improved their product, and on the opposing side they could have gotten lazy with their product. Also, if they only have 5 star reviews with no written review or picture, stay away.

2. Look at pictures from previous customers.

This is the best reference you can go off of with this kind of thing. You can see how the dress worked with other girls with your size. Some are really great and leave their measurements to make it even easier to see if the dress will fit.

3. GO BY THE GIVEN SIZE CHART!

This is one that most of the reviews will say. Every dress place has their own way of sizing, especially ones from different countries, so always go off their sizing. This makes some people crazy because they know they are a size 6 but the size chart said they should be a size 10. Believe the size chart, it's there for a reason.

4. Know what types of dresses look the best on your body type.

As a plus size, curvy girl, I know that I look my best in mermaid/trumpet style dresses, while ball gowns make me look bigger and have no shape. This comes with trial and error. If you don't know there's no harm in going to JC Penney's or Carson's to try on different styles. Figure out what looks best on you and makes you feel the most beautiful.

5. Make sure they are available through Amazon Prime for faster delivery.

This one is optional if you have enough time before your event but I procrastinated so I had to go Prime. But this definitely paid off because I placed my order on Sunday and got it Tuesday which is what makes Amazon so great. So if you're in a pinch, go Prime; if you have more time and the reviews are good, go regular shipping.

Overall I am very very very impressed with my dress purchase and hope to pass my knowledge of saving money to others!