5 Reasons You Should Snorkel At Least Once

The ocean is scary. And that's OK.
Jessica
Jessica
14

Snorkeling seems like a scary venture. You're going out swimming in the middle of the ocean, likely in a different area you've never been before. But as scary as snorkeling may seem, here's a few reasons everyone should try it at least once:

1. It's totally unfamiliar.

Yes, you should try snorkeling for that very reason of it being scary! Always try new things and you might surprise yourself at your own bravery or interests.

2. You will want to learn about the species around you.

Going snorkeling results in being utterly surrounded by small to medium sized reef fish with the occasional shark or sea turtle, depending on the area. You'll see behavior you can't possibly see in an aquarium if you're into nature. Even if you're not, after you're in the fishy oasis, you will inevitably want to start Googling the species you saw.

3. Different areas have different species.

Want to see Barracuda? They'll be in a different area of the ocean. Want to see Picasso Triggerfish? Well, they'll be hanging in the Pacific. No area is ever the same when you go snorkeling and it'll never get old.

4. You'll forget about everything.

Boss is driving you crazy? Ex won't leave you alone? Nobody can contact you when you've got goggles on your face and you're watching Parrotfish in the Atlantic. It'll soon became a place of relaxation, potentially.

5. You may have a new view of the ocean.

Throwing that can in the storm drain that leads to the ocean suddenly won't seem so harmless.