5 Reasons Why Schools Shouldn't Get Rid Of Their Spring Breaks

Who else got 3 "wellness" days to replace their spring break?

6
https://unsplash.com/photos/h5QOtoqU8PU

Thanks to COVID, last year we received a 2-month spring break. This year, thanks to COVID, we receive three "wellness" days. Due to the lack of major holidays in the second half of the school year, spring semester always seems to drag on and students count down the days for that week long break, but this year we don't receive it. Here's 5 reasons why we need that spring break:

3 "Wellness" days don't replace it

By Jeshoots on Unsplash.com

images.unsplash.com

When I first heard that the school was giving us wellness days in replacement of spring break, I thought they were being generous. Then I realized our new "spring break" consisted of 3 random weekdays throughout the semester. The least they could've done was give us two more days to actually *try* to compensate for that spring break.

We're burnt out

Photo by Victoria Heath on Unsplash.com

images.unsplash.com

The spring semester has been in full swing for almost 2 months now, which is about 45 days of classes. It doesn't seem like a lot but when you add other activities into the mix like clubs, greek life, and actual school assignments outside of class time, it's a lot. Not only can the burnout affect our grades, but it also can affect us physically. An actual spring break could easily fix this.

Not everybody travels for spring break

Photo by Sixteen Miles Out on Unsplash.com

images.unsplash.com

Spring break was taken away from us to minimize the travel of students, hopefully minimizing the spread of COVID as well. I won't lie, my school had good intentions with this one. Though, not to speak for myself, but I had no plans of traveling this spring break. If anything I would've traveled home, *safely* while taking precautions. I also would've had no problem staying in my off campus apartment for the week, as long as I had no classes or assignments to worry about.

Though, people will travel no matter what

Photo by Suhyeon Choi on Unsplash.com

images.unsplash.com

I might not have had plans to travel for spring break, but others definitely did. Since majority classes are all online anyway, nothing is really stopping those who had travel plans from still traveling.

We deserve it

Photo by Felipe Santana on Unsplash.com

images.unsplash.com

After the year we all have had to deal with, we deserve an actual spring break. Our worlds were turned upside down last spring when we got sent home for what was originally 2 weeks that turned into the rest of the semester. Since then we've been forced to adjust to mask wearing, all online classes and assignments, and social distancing guidelines while we're going through an important phase in our lives.

COVID not only has had an impact on our everyday lives for the past year, but also on our mental health. Not only have I had COVID, but my mental health has gone downhill majorly too, along with multiple other college students. All we want is a mental break from the assignments and the worry of COVID. A random Thursday in March isn't going to do anything for my mental health when I spend all day catching up on my school work.