5 Reasons To Visit Disney World As An Adult

Because grown-ups also need the happiest place on Earth

11
Becky Downing

Last week I went on vacation to Florida with my parents for a family wedding, and while we were there we went to Disney! I have been to Disney a couple times before. Once when I was three, when I was seven, and again when I was eleven. But now, at twenty years old, I was able to experience the happiest place on Earth on an entirely different level.

Here are a few reasons to visit the Disney parks as an adult:

1. You may actually like the Hall of Presidents

The other times I went to Disney, I did not go into the Hall of Presidents. It is probably a good thing I didn't. There is a good chance I would have been bored to tears. If you've never been into the Hall of Presidents, it is located in Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom. Inside, it presents the audience with a show which includes an animatronic version of every President of the United States. I was also happy to get a change to visit before they build the next one (Disney plans to close the Hall of Presidents from January 17th to June 30th to construct a likeness of you-know-who) because I just don't think I could stomach it.

2. The characters are fun to watch after you've reached an age where you realize there's a person inside that costume

It's not that I didn't realize as a child that there was likely a person controlling Minnie Mouse, but it wasn't the first thing on my mind when I went to her house to meet her. Now, as a theatre major, the role of actors- no pun intended- is in the forefront of my mind under any given circumstances. I found myself thinking several thoughts like, "Wow, it must be hot in there," and "I wonder if their treatment is up to equity standards?"

(I Googled it and it looks like they are equity, but don't quote me on that).

3. You get a chance to appreciate the incredible design elements involved

I think when I was little, I mostly attributed what I saw during the attractions as some kind of magic. Now, not being a designer myself but having a more sophisticated eye for design, I still see outstanding lighting and scenery and costuming as some sort of magic.

4. It is a nostalgia like no other

Getting on the rides and seeing the shows I saw as a child felt like jumping into old photo albums that otherwise just sit on our shelf all year. It was great to live into all the old memories I couldn't quite remember.

5. The joy in the faces of children

When I visited Disney all the other times, I was focused on my own experience. This time, one of the most enjoyable things to see were the faces of tiny girls dressed like Belle, or blowing bubbles, or wearing Stitch hats. Some day maybe I'll take my own kids to Disney, and it will be for them, and I will watch their faces, and it will sort of be for me too.