5 Reasons You Should Study Philosophy

5 Reasons You Should Study Philosophy

Expand your mind, even if it makes you a little pretentious

110
5 Reasons You Should Study Philosophy
other-worldly

When people think about the liberal arts, most of the time they think of art and music and creative writing. These are all amazing fields to study, and all liberal arts, but unfortunately this means that people tend to overlook the exciting world of Philosophy. Beyond talking about themes and motifs in books and plays or learning about Greece in general, a lot of people don't actually know a thing about philosophy, and if you don't try to study it, you never will. Why would you want to? Good question.

1. It makes you think

Of course, it's impossible to study something without it affecting the way you see things, but philosophy is different. When you're literally studying the study of people studying the world it's going to make you ask a lot of questions you might have taken for granted. If you're somebody who's constantly trying to figure out the meaning of life, it'll give you a lot more leads. If you're not, it'll probably make you into somebody who does. If you look at enough theories and concepts and fear, eventually you're going to get some new, weird opinions. And you might decide that magnets have souls.

2. It combines a lot of different fields

Philosophy is an ancient study, and because of that it's affected a lot of other studies-- and actually created a lot of other studies. Whether you're interested in sociology, anthropology, psychology, in some cases even biology, you'll get to hear a little about it, or if you already know some, put your two cents in. It all comes down to the mind, and the mind accepts all. Also, because of the antiquity of it, you'll get to learn a lot of history, and most of that stuff is actually really crazy and fun.

3. You'll be able to win any argument

Okay, as soon as you go to a nonphilosophy student and bring up Xenophanes, that debate is over. Will they be happy about it? Probably not, but that doesn't matter because you've got a wise old Greek man backing you up and they can't take that away from you. You're always going to sound like you know what you're talking about, and you're probably always going to have at least one person out there with a thesis sharing your opinion, no matter how terrible.

4. You'll meet a lot of open minded people

And by "open minded" I mean both open to new ideas, and really really weird. If you're looking for a good conversation, chances are you're looking for a philosophy nerd. Just don't try to fight them.

5. You pretty much just learn how to beat up societal convention

THERE'S ONLY NATURE VERSUS CONVENTION, BRO.