5 Reasons Why You Should Start Writing Letters Again

What I love about the archaic, somewhat-forgotten art

117

“To send a letter is a good way to go somewhere without moving anything but your heart” -Phyllis Theroux.

Writing letters is an old-fashioned art that is not popular anymore because of our digital age. With email, text, and phone calls, what seems to be the point? As children we write notes and letters all the time…we make up codes and pass around our thoughts in class. I remember in high school I still used to pass notes to my friends. So what happened? When did we turn away from physically writing correspondences? That doesn’t matter now, but it’s not too late to go back and start writing again. Here are 5 reasons you should pick up a pen and start writing.

1. They are personal

You have to take the time and the thought to write out a letter…Plus, when receiving one you don’t have to respond immediately, you can take the time to think and experience before writing back.You also use your own hand-writing, which may be harder to read than type, but it more connecting to your reader.

2. They are fun to write and receive

Who doesn’t love receiving mail that’s not a bill or spam? Seriously, receiving mail is a lot of fun.It never fails to put a smile on my face.And as for sending, there is something about putting down your thoughts onto paper and placing them into the mail system.It is out of your control when it gets to its destination.

3. You can send one anywhere in the world for a low cost

Want to send a letter to your pen pal in France? Or your cousin in California? What about sending a letter to me in Australia? It doesn’t cost a lot, but it sure does mean a lot.

4. Its an excuse to buy cute stationary and send art

Personally, I love drawing things for other people.Doodling on corners, or adding a calligraphy quote at the end of a letter.It is just a little something to show off my personality.

5. Letters are tangible

A text message usually deletes in a few weeks and snapchats delete instantly…so letters are really the only things that you can keep for as long as you want.A tangible reminder of that person, kept forever in a box or in your wallet.