5 reasons everyone should watch "Hello, Privilege. It's Me Chelsea."

"If we don't get through the messiness and work to build together, we will not get to the change that we believe is possible."

52
https://usa.newonnetflix.info/info/80244973

I've never been one to talk about political topics. I have found that in this day and age it is almost impossible to have a conversation with someone without sparking a heated debate (which is unproductive and doesn't change anyones mind). Due to this, I tend to keep my values and opinions on such topics to myself. It wasn't until recently that I found myself deep in a rabbit hole of political websites, podcasts, and articles; searching to educate myself before the upcoming presidential election. I stumbled upon Sophia Bush's (aka Brooke Davis, aka my IDOL) newest podcast, Work in Progress, in which she hosted guest, Chelsea Handler. Up until that point, I had viewed Chelsea Handler as solely a comedian and actress but the podcast brought her activist role to light. She spent the length of the podcast talking about her new documentary on Netflix titled, Hello Privilege, it's me Chelsea. I was intrigued due to my recent rabbit hole of political articles about white privilege, and figured that it would be a good watch to further educate myself on how to become a better ally. The documentary was incredible and no matter your political views or sides, I think every single person needs to watch this documentary. Here's 5 reasons why:

1. Chelsea explores viewpoints on white privilege from both people of color and white people

Throughout the entire documentary, Chelsea gains insight on white privilege from both people of color and white people. Hearing the differing viewpoints, accurately presents the issue of white privilege and how a majority of white people are blinded to the privilege that they have.

2. Chelsea evaluates her life and the instances in which she has had privilege due to her race

Chelsea walks through her life and experiences growing up where she got pregnant twice, had two abortions, and dated an African American heroin dealer who has spent the last 14 years in prison. She shares the number of times that she got off with zero consequences for driving drunk, having drugs on her, and even how she avoided arrest even though her African American boyfriend got arrested for all of those same things. She realizes now that was likely due to the fact of being a pretty, white female and how privilege was very present in her life when she didn't even notice.

3. Chelsea has constructive conversation with white people who don't believe that white privilege exists

While attending Oktoberfest in the south, Chelsea sits down with a group of white women who discuss white privilege and their beliefs on whether or not it is present in 2019. She is able to hold a productive conversation, while listening to the viewpoints that oppose her own. She presents different insights to the people who don't believe that white privilege is present in 2019 in a way that encourages conversation.

4. She speaks with many professionals and experts to uncover the facts and statistics of white privilege

In meeting with professionals, she presents unbiased, fact driven data, about youth incarceration rates, school funding, use of police force, and many more important topics affecting both white and black communities.

5. The people that Chelsea interviews give insight on how to be a better ally

"The truth is, what we really need is white allies to stand with us on issues that may be specific to us, but that ultimately impact you as well." - Ryan Haygood CEO, New Jersey Institute for Social Justice

"It can't just be black people advocating for black people, we need everyones voice in their own community." - Melina Abdullah, Co-founder of Black Lives Matter

"It's about advocating for people in all spaces even if it makes you uncomfortable" -Black Lives Matter member

"Come to the table seeking knowledge." - Carol Anderson, Historian at Emory University

It doesn't matter who you voted for or what your beliefs are. We need to start using our voices to discuss topics that are hard to talk about and I think Chelsea has used her platform to do just that. Please check out the documentary, Hello, Privilege. It's Me Chelsea, streaming now on Netflix.