5 Reasons to Dress Up for Your 8 A.M.

5 Reasons to Dress Up for Your 8 A.M.

Waking up an extra five minutes early is worth it.

11
5 Reasons to Dress Up for Your 8 A.M.

We have all been there. Your room is dark, your bed is warm, and just when you have reached the climax of your good dream, the alarm clock starts to blare. Exhausted, you throw on a sweatshirt and some leggings, pull your hair back, brush your teeth, and exit the front door. It is a steady part of your routine, especially for overworked upperclassmen, but what if you could change it? Challenging as it may sound, changing out those sweats for some nice jeans, or a cute dress, can reap multiple benefits, and only adds a few extra minutes to your morning routine.

1. You will ace that midterm.

Spent half the night studying for a big test? A study from the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University found that what you wear to the exam could affect your attitude, focus, and overall performance. While dressing up has a different meaning for everyone, the results are almost universal. It might be especially tough to look nice on test day, fashion seeming like a trivial matter when half your grade depends on this exam, it could give the boost you need to get the A!

2. Dresses actually require little to no effort.

I should know, I wear a lot of them, and find that others assume I devote a lot of time to coordinating my clothes. I don’t bother correcting them, but in all honesty, nothing could be further from the truth. I am low-maintenance, so much so I would rather avoid trying to mix-and-match. Thus, dresses are an instant way to look fantastic. Rather than struggle into my cute but rigid skinny jeans, I throw on a dress and am ready to go! If it is cold, I wear some leggings underneath. Bottom line -- I am ready to go in under two minutes.

3. It is good practice for the professional world.

Within the next few years, all of us will be in the workforce, and with that comes the expectation to look presentable, even first thing in the morning. This does not always equate to a suit and heels, but even business-casual dress codes require you to look neat. So why not practice this behavior while the stakes are still low? Transitioning into your first real job will be exhausting enough, but starting smart habits now can make it slightly less painful.

4. You will get lots of compliments.

Now, let me preface this by saying that any changes made should be for you, according to your own personal style and taste. But with that said, how wonderful is it to get a sincere complement? Doesn’t it just make your day? When you dress well, you get a lot of them, especially from your sorority sisters. So while the added attention should not be anyone’s sole motivation, it sure is a nice bonus.

5. You will feel better.

Stress got you down? The Huffington Post has found several positive correlations between personal style and self-confidence. The old saying that when you look good, you feel good really does hold true. While so many aspects of our appearance are out of our control, it is good to have control over what we wear. Own that and take pride in what you wear! It is the first step to showing the world how awesome you are!