5 Reasons "Before The Flood" Is The Most Important Documentary Yet This Year

"Climate change is no longer some far-off problem; it is happening here, it is happening now." - Barak Obama

287
YouTube

If you have not yet had the opportunity to watch Leonardo DiCaprio's documentary on climate change named, Before The Flood, I would recommend moving it to the top of your watch list. The hour-and-a-half long film follows DiCaprio's voyage around the world as he discovers the terrible effects of climate change first hand.

Here are 5 reasons as to why his discoveries make the film so important:

1. It practically silences all those individuals who aim to prove climate change is not real.

The documentary gets its supporting data from the AR5, one of the largest scientific reports ever published. With over 9,000 peer-reviewed essays submitted from scientists all over the world, it demonstrates that climate change is occurring right now and is forcing millions of species out of their habitats.

2. It directly identifies the main contributors and causes of climate change.

There is no doubt that the rising CO2 levels are a large contributor as to why the Earth is heating up, but it was alarming to learn that the concentration of CO2 in our atmosphere has risen by 42% since the industrial revolution. It was even more concerning to realize that the U.S. is one of the top 7 countries producing the highest quantity of CO2.

3. It shows you the real life effects, no matter how horrific.

As you follow DiCaprio on his journey, you see a lot of devastating footage. The reality is, as much as the creators want you to get excited about helping our planet, it is important to realize how climate change is traumatically effecting some of the most beautiful places and species on Earth.

4. It readily provides solutions to fighting climate change and how YOU can help.

Luckily, climate change can be fought. Researchers are working to show that our most common energy needs (heating, electricity, transportation) can be satisfied through 100% clean, renewable resources and people and organizations all over the world are actively taking strides towards improving their global footprint.

5. If you didn't already respect Leonardo DiCaprio enough, this will give you another reason.

You may not know, but DiCaprio is the United Nation Messenger of Peace. His sophisticated persona already makes him a perfect candidate in leading you through this documentary, and his speech at the conclusion of the film will leave you in awe.