5 Questions To Ask Before You Get A Tattoo

Here are five pertinent questions for anyone thinking about getting a tattoo done.

2
Tattoo decision
https://pixabay.com/images/id-1210061/

Human beings have been marking their skin with intricate patterns and designs for over five thousand years, according to the Smithsonian Magazine. Today's tattoo procedures are a lot different from those of ancient times. While tattoos are pretty cool to look at, they come with a lot of responsibility. It's more than just marking your skin. It's taking care of that design to make sure it never fades. Are you looking at getting a tattoo? Here are five pertinent questions for anyone thinking about getting a tattoo done.

1. Can I Afford It?

Quality artwork is one of the most expensive considerations for getting a tattoo. Amateur artists might charge you less, but you get what you pay for. Small designs can cost as little as $75, but for complex design elements, you may have to pay a bit more. Artistic murals such as entire arm sleeves, or large portions of the back can quickly run into the hundreds. These prices might sound high, but you're not just paying for artistic quality, you're paying for a highly-skilled tattoo artist.

2. Who's Doing my Tattoo?

The tattoo artist you choose should be someone you're comfortable with. The List mentions that tattoo artists wished their clients realized how much of a joint effort getting a tattoo is. Tattoo artists are the creative force behind your tattoo, but that means that you should treat them with respect. Learn about what they're doing and what they expect from you. Being comfortable with your artist leads you to ask the next question.

3. Where am I Getting It?

Tattoos can be quite flexible in their placement. Some clients at Mystic Owl Tattoo come in without a sure idea of where they're going to place their ink. This decision is permanent and should take some time to figure out. You can't just peel it up and move it if you don't like the placement afterward. Asking your artist for suggestions will give you a starting point, but the final decision is yours.

4. Is the Design Awesome?

One of the things you may not be aware of is that not all designs carry over from paper to skin. Some drawings are more suited to working on a wider canvas, but others need a defined, small shape to really pop. Factors like colors, size, and the amount of time it will take to etch out details are all elements that you should look at. If you need a redesign, most artists are willing to accommodate you, based on how busy they are.

5. Am I Ready to take Care of a Tattoo?

This question deals with both the short-term and long-term care of a tattoo. When you first get one, it will be tender, and there may be a lot of bleeding and fluid. Keeping the tattoo clean so that it heals properly is of the utmost importance. The first few weeks will be crucial to avoiding infection. It would be best if you also kept your new tattoo moisturized. This consideration is vital to maintaining your skin's health and the quality of your tattoo art.

A tattoo isn't as simple as a sticker on your skin. It takes time and effort. It's essential to understand what you're getting yourself into and what you can expect in such a significant decision. Asking the right questions shows that you know how important this decision is and that you're ready to take the final step of getting a design on the canvas of your body.