5 Things I Promised Myself I Would Do In 2017

"I have lived and loved."

26
Unsplash

We all have our new years' resolutions. We say we are going to change for the better throughout the year, but do we follow through? It all depends. There are five for sure things I told myself I would do or not do, in 2017.

1. Don't Borrow Trouble

My mother always says, "Don't borrow trouble." Too often we find ourselves looking at the situations to come, and assuming the worst will happen. College students go into new jobs or careers, classes or relationships with their past experiences; including the not-so-positive experiences. This in turn, even if we don't intentionally do so, causes us to be biased towards our new situation. For example, some acquaintances of mine go into midterms confidently, even if they are struggling in their classes. On the other hand, there are those who go into the exams believing they will fail no matter what they do. This is still something I wish to improve upon.

2. Travel More

I wanted to travel, not just for the sake of traveling, but to experience new things. I want to learn about new cultures and traditions, as well as learn more about the people in the areas. Due to finances and such a tight schedule, this wasn't able to happen this year; hopefully next year! (This leads to another goal of mine, I fell short).

3. Save Money

So there are these things that adults call "bills" and "financial responsibilities." You have to take care of these things using the money, which is just really paper with little to no true value except for what we decide the value may be. This is how we buy cars, houses, food, etc; and yet us college students always wind up broke. I did really well at saving my money in the beginning, but I made a few big purchases; one of them is buying myself a new car, on my own.

4. Confidence

I don't struggle with self-image, however, I do occasionally struggle with being confident in my abilities. Specifically when it comes to schooling, and how I am doing as a student. This goes back to the point of 'borrowing trouble.' If you go back to #1 and read the two kinds of students, I am usually the latter student. I have gotten a great deal better about this, but I can always do better.

So I may not have done these things, but there is one thing I have done in 2017...

5. I have lived and loved.

Friends, family, all relationships in general. I have lived my life to the fullest this year. I continued to do my job to the best of my ability, my determination is beyond most people's capacity, and I have succeeded in becoming a better woman. I love my family, and my friends who supported me throughout the year; I have lost some who I thought I wouldn't, but I also gained a few who I thought I wouldn't have. Life has a funny way of putting us through the experiences to make us into the person we are meant to be. We have God to thank for that.