5 Places To Get A Quick And Healthy Meal Near WVU

College is hard. Eating right doesn't have to be.

233
Instagram

Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be extremely challenging -- especially for college students, whose schedules are obscure and inconsistent, it is easier to get takeout than to be burdened with the task of preparing a meal.

Unfortunately, since the most accessible restaurants tend to be fast-food chains with very few healthy options, many college students struggle with substantial weight gain.

However, several of Morgantown's local businesses can be considered progressive players in the current health movement. So if you're looking for some healthier and more natural options when you don't have time to cook, be sure to check out these five delicious restaurants!

1. Black Bear

Black Bear is a great place to eat if you're in the mood for a burrito or wrap. Their menu features a multitude of cleverly named wraps ("strollers"), and represents an eclectic array of cultural influences ranging from Jamaican to Greek. Build-your-own burrito, quesadilla, or wrap is also an option, and items can be tailored to vegetarian or vegan dietary preferences. Quality and freshness of the ingredients used is apparent. The restaurant's earthy, hipster vibe and regular live music performances make it a fun place to dine, but takeout is also an option. There are also two convenient locations, downtown and Evansdale—each just a few minutes from the nearest WVU campus.

2. Terra Cafe

Terra Cafe is an adorable restaurant in Star City, less than a mile past Black Bear. Their menu features items both healthy and indulgent, as well as some vegan, dairy, or gluten-free options (my favorite is the black bean burger). Everything is made fresh in the cafe. And each day they have a variety of elaborately decorated cupcakes and pastries, which definitely aren't healthy, but they're beautiful to look at!

3. The Greeks

The Greeks—a small, family-owned business on Beechurst Avenue at the bottom of State on Campus apartments—is probably my favorite restaurant in Morgantown. The owners work in-house and are the sweetest people you will ever meet. The menu is delicious, fresh, and includes a number of authentic Greek and middle-eastern options like gyros, greek salads, and greek-style grilled chicken. The restaurant has more of a fast-food atmosphere, but customers are welcome to eat-in as well. I recommend calling at least twenty minutes ahead, as nothing is pre-made. After all, perfection takes time.

4. Ali Baba

Ali Baba, another great Mediterranean restaurant, is located in the Morgantown Municipal Airport off of Mileground Road. This one is more of a sit-down restaurant, but also offers takeout. They have amazing hummus and tabouli, meat platters, and salads.

5. I Love Juice Bar

Most WVU students probably know about this one, but it's worth noting, because it is one of the only healthy eateries actually on campus. Located at the top of Evansdale Crossing, I Love Juice Bar offers a variety of fresh juices and smoothies, sandwiches, hummus and veggies, and daily soups. Although it's a little pricey, the options are so nutritious, which is very important for college students whose meals are often nutrient-lacking.

Enjoy!