5 Of The Best Period Dramas Worth Streaming During The Holiday Break

When one finds themselves with copious amounts of time at their hands, I suggest spending it by watching a period drama or two.

16
black flat screen tv turned on displaying x
Photo by David Balev on Unsplash

When I find myself with various time to spare on my hands, I frequently return to period dramas I've watched before, opting to relive them rather than beginning another film or series. The majority of period dramas often are imbued with overwhelming romantic yearnings and miscommunications that make them a delight to watch over and over again. However, there are of course some that are more jarring and serious than the romantic ones I usually turn to; both types are just as splendid.

Below I have listed five of the period dramas I recommend initiating a binge during the holiday season. Each of them possesses characteristics that make them worth consuming.

Pride and Prejudice (2005)

This film, based on Jane Austen's novel of the same name, is a classic starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew MacFadyen as the brooding Mr. Darcy. Though I am no longer certain of the specific amount of times I've watched this film, I am certain that there is something addicting about watching Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's characters bicker back and forth, tension rising between the two in every scene. I believe this to be the most heartwarming adaptation of Pride and Prejudice–nothing is as sweet as the ending scene.

Anne with an E (2017)

Though Netflix adaptations tend to either be incredible or downright terrible, I do suggest watching this one. It chronicles an orphaned Anne, played by the incredible Amybeth McNulty, and how she comes to live on Prince Edward Island with Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. There are elements of childhood, individuality, and romance that make it something I come back to time and time again.

Sanditon (2019)

Of the many adaptations of Jane Austen novels, I confidently contend that this one is the best. I distinctly remember eagerly waiting each week to consume a new episode chronicling the intense and conflicting relationship between Charlotte Heywood (Rose Williams) and Sidney Parker (Theo James). The show, based on an incomplete novel by Jane Austen, chronicles Charlotte and her stay at Sanditon, a quaint fishing village that is assumed to be transformed into a resort.

Little Women (2019)

This is personally one of my favorite coming-of-age novels, and I felt that this adaptation closely intertwined all the beautiful elements of the book with the film. This film, based on the novel by Louisa May Alcott, chronicles the lives of four March sisters and documents their journey from childhood into adulthood. It is incredibly sweet, heartwarming, and moving.

Las Chicas de Cable (2017)

I quite adore Spanish shows and frequently immerse myself in them the second they come out. Las Chicas de Cable was no exception. The show follows four women, seeking independence, hired at the National Telephone Company and how their lives are absolutely transformed by it. The show itself is very moving, and I find myself drawn to the love triangle at the center of the story.

Whether it one or all five that draw your attention, I heavily suggest taking an hour or two out of your day to destress by watching a period drama. Given that Pride and Prejudice (2005) is leaving Netflix soon, perhaps it is wise to start there.