5 New YA Books To Read

5 New YA Books To Read

New books are the best books!
4

There have been a lot of books I've been eyeing over the summer, but I have yet to pick them up. I might have a book buying problem, but it's under control (for now). That being said, there have been a few releases that I might buy, book-buying-ban or not!

1. Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab

While I haven't read the first book in this duology, "This Savage Song", seeing the second book makes me want to buy them both! The story follows a reality in which humans face monsters, but a human and monster pair meet and end up stuck together in facing an even greater evil. I have a weak spot for monsters in general, so I feel like this series could be a quick favorite of mine.

2. The Love Interest by Cale Dietrich

This story is about two secret agents, or "love interests", that are tasked with getting a chosen girl to fall in love with them. One is a stereotypical good guy, while another is the stereotypical bad boy. Whoever doesn't get the girl dies. Yet the agents end up with feelings that distract them from their mission. I've been excited to see where this story is going for a while!

3. The Suffering Tree by Elle Cosimano

At first, I wasn't too interested in a story about a girl moving into a small town and being disliked for inheriting land there by a family called the Slaughters. Then I read the synopsis further, and I discovered there was a guy that suddenly claws his way out from the grave with a grudge against the Slaughters. This story promises some dark secrets and is right up my alley.

4. How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child by Sandra Uwiringiyimana and Abigail Pesta

Usually, I don't read a lot of nonfiction, but this memoir following Sandra Uwiringiyimana caught my attention. It follows Sandra from the Democratic Republic of the Congo; she tells her story of how she survived a massacre, immigrated to America, and overcame all the trauma she went through with the arts and activism. The title of this memoir alone makes me interested in what Sandra went through.

Jason Zhou survives in a divided society where the elite use their wealth to buy longer lives. The rich wear special suits, protecting them from the pollution and viruses that plague the city, while those without suffer illness and early deaths. Frustrated by his city’s corruption and still grieving the loss of his mother who died as a result of it, Zhou is determined to change things, no matter the cost.

5. Want by Cindy Pon

The moment I saw the cover and synopsis for Want, I've been wanting it ever since! It's been a while since I've followed a book from its pre-debut stages, but Want is an exception. Want is a scifi set in a dystopian Taipei following Jason Zhou. He lives in a society where the rich are protected from the polluted air and viruses plaguing the city, while those who can't afford it have no choice but to suffer and die. Zhou wants to changes things, starting with the corrupt Jin Corporation. Want is definitely the first book I'm going to buy from this list, and I already know I'm going to love it.