5 Lessons To Learn From The Hipster Revolution

You may not like flannels, but there's plenty of values and advice to glean from these bearded, artsy individuals.

180
Darling Magazine

The internet houses many definitions and characteristics of hipsters, but everyone seems to agree on one thing: hipsters are supposed to be counter-cultural. To hipsters everything mainstream is taboo, they dislike being pinned to expectations or generalizations, and in fact, most of the young people who make up this subculture do not identify as hipsters.

The irony of the word “hipster” is that the culture surrounding it has become mainstream. Take a look at Instagram or Pinterest. Flanneled shirts, crocheting and minimalistic tattoos are all the rage. Almost every day, a picture of a guy or girl wearing skinny jeans and a distressed knapsack in front of a forest pops up on my social media feed. Off-beat and vintage fashion, indie and alternative music, local coffee shops — yep, they're all not so counter-cultural anymore.

Writer David Infante observes, “Hipster is generic. By that definition, the hipster has to be dead, killed by a contradicted identity. When everyone is rejecting the mainstream, no one is. When everyone is a hipster, no one is a hipster.”

But what if you still genuinely like wearing flannels or buying organic food or posting artistic photography on Instagram? What if you don’t want to be associated with the hipster-mania but you still want to be, well, yourself? Never fear. Hipsterdom may be a fallen kingdom, but the principles which first staked out its territory remain relevant. Here are five lessons that we can learn from this artsy, independent lifestyle that’s gone viral:

1. Be yourself.

We're stuck in a culture where social media, advertising and entertainment are constantly telling us who we should be, what we should look like and what we should enjoy doing. But the truth is, I'm never going to enjoy rap music as much as my sister does, I'll always prefer reading old books to watching TV shows and I don't own a single bottle of nail polish. The cry of the hipster has been for a celebration of these preferences and patterns and abilities that make us who we are. Away from the rush of the crowd, we are given freedom to savor silence when we want, to wear or not wear makeup when we feel like it, to define our own likes and dislikes based not on the sway of the people but on what we actually find to be desirable and interesting.

2. Create your identity through art.

Hipsters are known for their appreciation of music, art and fashion. They research indie or overlooked bands; they shop at thrift stores; they read books and watch poetry slams and visit art shows. While you may not consider yourself to be a particular "artsy" person, I believe that art can and should be incorporated into everyone's life. Consider what your clothes say about you; do they reflect your vision and imagination for your life? Consider the music, movies and TV shows you enjoy — how are they mirroring and creating your identity? Consider the way you decorate your house, the food you cook, the books and magazines you read. All of these are avenues for you to not only express yourself but to craft beauty that brings joy to others.

3. Think deep thoughts and share them.

According to Urban Dictionary, hipsters "value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter ." Even if you don't share the beliefs and ideas that characterize hipsters (and you certainly don't need to), we should all think about and discuss politics, philosophy, religion and culture. No matter your educational background or occupation or personality, pondering the complexities of life and sharing your questions and observations with others is incredibly rewarding for both your mind and soul.

4. Don’t be afraid to be weird.

Hipsters sometimes get flak for being different just for the sake of uniqueness, but whether or not that is true is something only each individual can determine for himself. In any case, what's more important is the value that lies underneath the somewhat strange fashions and preferences of hipsterdom. Hipsters aren't afraid of standing out, looking odd or being thought weird. As someone who cares way too much about people's opinions, I honestly hope to be more like hipsters and wear my weirdness with flare.

5. Let your values affect the choices you make.

Critics of hipsters often think that choosing organic food or fair-trade fashion is an extravagance that comes from a "holier-than-thou" mindset. Again, each person must decide the motives of his heart for himself. But if you care about the environment, why wouldn't you shop for organic food and sustainable fashion? If you care about businesses in the community, patronizing local shops and restaurants makes sense. In fact, it is disturbing when our values do NOT affect the choices we make. If you don't support a corporation's ethics or treatment of employees, don't support it. It's that simple. Ideals stay imaginary unless they are put into action.